The Student Room Group

foundation year dentistry or pharmacy?

I am applying to do dentistry, and need some advice on what to choose as my 5th option. Initially I was going to put down pharmacy. however i recently discovered that uni of Leeds offers an interdisciplinary science foundation year through which i am pretty sure i am eligible for, and if successful at the interview at the end of the foundation year, i can join the BDS dentistry course. however, entry onto Dentistry from the foundation year isn’t guaranteed and I can’t find any stats or information on what the acceptance rate is like after the foundation year. The most I have found is that 2 people progressed into dentistry after the foundation year in 2021 but there was no information on how many people actually applied. considering how competitive the course is, it was probably quite a few - so i’m wondering if my chances of getting into BDS dentistry after the foundation year is even good.

should i take the chance and apply to this course or just apply to pharmacy?
Reply 1
Original post by jenny666
I am applying to do dentistry, and need some advice on what to choose as my 5th option. Initially I was going to put down pharmacy. however i recently discovered that uni of Leeds offers an interdisciplinary science foundation year through which i am pretty sure i am eligible for, and if successful at the interview at the end of the foundation year, i can join the BDS dentistry course. however, entry onto Dentistry from the foundation year isn’t guaranteed and I can’t find any stats or information on what the acceptance rate is like after the foundation year. The most I have found is that 2 people progressed into dentistry after the foundation year in 2021 but there was no information on how many people actually applied. considering how competitive the course is, it was probably quite a few - so i’m wondering if my chances of getting into BDS dentistry after the foundation year is even good.

should i take the chance and apply to this course or just apply to pharmacy?

You could do a pharmacy or pharmacology three year course but make sure you check the degree requirements of the dental schools that do graduate entry programmes and which field those degrees need to be in to be considered for graduate entry. I think pharamacology is good because a few dental schools make you do some pharmacology untis as part of the dentistry degree itself and its only three years so you can get back to the dentistry grind sooner.

Quick Reply

Latest