The Student Room Group

am i being too ambitious applying higher than my predicted grades?

hi! so i'm applying for history and my predicted grades are a*ab, the a* in history. my highest two unis (UCL and leeds) want aaa. i haven't submitted my application yet!! so i can change the UCL one if i'm being too ambitious, but do you guys think it's worth a shot???? i don't know if it's a ''waste'' of an application. would appreciate advice from anyone, esp if u go to ucl. are they rly strict w the grade requirements?
its worth a shot but be prepared for two rejections there since you don't meet the required A

having at least one university that exceeds your grades - even a*aa - would be sensible because lots of universities are flexible, especially for a course like history. having two choices where you're really only just shy of the requirement seems totally fine

like i say prepare for two rejections, but it's entirely likely you get an offer from at least leeds
Reply 2
Original post by HoldThisL
its worth a shot but be prepared for two rejections there since you don't meet the required A

having at least one university that exceeds your grades - even a*aa - would be sensible because lots of universities are flexible, especially for a course like history. having two choices where you're really only just shy of the requirement seems totally fine

like i say prepare for two rejections, but it's entirely likely you get an offer from at least leeds

thank you for your honest reply ! yep, i'm thinking leeds might be ok but ucl is very ambitious!!! i think i'll sleep on it.
thanks !
Original post by ilovryuji
thank you for your honest reply ! yep, i'm thinking leeds might be ok but ucl is very ambitious!!! i think i'll sleep on it.
thanks !

Could you please give an update on what ended up happening 😭
Reply 4
Original post by morin alawiye

i got into leeds with BBB lol
Reply 5

i never applied to ucl in the end because i didn’t want to go to london

i applied to manchester, leeds, sheffield, lancaster and liverpool

got all offers

firmed leeds and insured lancaster

got bbb on results day, my leeds offer was ABB (they reduced it based it on the low participation neighbourhood thing automatically)

fully expected to miss it… but now i’m at leeds 😅
what’s your situation? maybe i can advise?
i got into leeds with BBB lol

Did you get an unconditional offer at Leeds before ?
Reply 7
Did you get an unconditional offer at Leeds before ?

no
i never applied to ucl in the end because i didn’t want to go to london

i applied to manchester, leeds, sheffield, lancaster and liverpool

got all offers

firmed leeds and insured lancaster

got bbb on results day, my leeds offer was ABB (they reduced it based it on the low participation neighbourhood thing automatically)

fully expected to miss it… but now i’m at leeds 😅
what’s your situation? maybe i can advise?

I was kind in the same situation as you but I am applying for politics and international relations. UCL entry requirements is obviously AAA and I have an AAB. Unfortunately for me politics and IR just happens to be one of their most competitive courses which puts me at a huge disadvantage and just feels like a waste of space. Plus I did their contextual offer survey on their website and even though my secondary and college are eligible, my postcode isn't and that was what it was solely based on.
I also don't want to stay In London but it's UCL 😭

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending