The Student Room Group

messed up my future

just screwed up on my yr12 mock exams and got like Cs for all of them, literally ruined my chance of going to uni, dont wanna take a gap year but idk what to do at this point. i wanted to do computer science at uni - unsure which uni tho atm. what do i do.
Original post by Anonymous
just screwed up on my yr12 mock exams and got like Cs for all of them, literally ruined my chance of going to uni, dont wanna take a gap year but idk what to do at this point. i wanted to do computer science at uni - unsure which uni tho atm. what do i do.

im in same boat as u mate, got ccc in mocks , hoping my predicted will be 1 grade higher for each subject. and then my school offers september exams and i want to do very well in them so i can hopefully get my predicted up a lot , ideally AAA but maybe too ambitious. ( i. want to do medicine)

see if ur school has extra exams/ things. u can do to improve predicted grades and just wait to see what ur predicted is and then make. a final decision. if not, just work hard in summer and extra hard in yr13 and try clearing or just take gap year if all fails( gap year isnt too bad as u can work etc which is nice) - thats my plan at least , never too late to turn it around bro

good luck :biggrin:
Reply 2

Just wanted to say to use these mock results as motivation to do better in the future and think of it as a positive thing because you can definitely do much better so you haven’t messed up your future!

It’s not the end of the world. If you have to take a gap year then it’s just a year - like it won’t ruin everything in the long run. And also if you have yr13 mocks then you’ll probably have the chance to improve your predicted grades anyway
Reply 4
Original post by Teribblestudent
It’s not the end of the world. If you have to take a gap year then it’s just a year - like it won’t ruin everything in the long run. And also if you have yr13 mocks then you’ll probably have the chance to improve your predicted grades anyway

if i do well on my actual exam in year13, can i still get into a good uni the following summer?
if i do well on my actual exam in year13, can i still get into a good uni the following summer?

Do you mean if you take a gap year? Because yes, of course. I dont know how the whole applying to uni thing works (despite having just finished A levels lol - having a gap year) so i dont know what would happen if your actual grades were way better than predicted
Reply 6
Original post by Teribblestudent
Do you mean if you take a gap year? Because yes, of course. I dont know how the whole applying to uni thing works (despite having just finished A levels lol - having a gap year) so i dont know what would happen if your actual grades were way better than predicted

i mean if i dont take a gap year.
Like if i do well in my exams in May, can i go to good uni in September?
Is it true in order to apply to uni with those final exam grades, i have to take a gap year? Thats what people in my school r saying. sorry im starting to confuse myself lol
i mean if i dont take a gap year.
Like if i do well in my exams in May, can i go to good uni in September?
Is it true in order to apply to uni with those final exam grades, i have to take a gap year? Thats what people in my school r saying. sorry im starting to confuse myself

yes and no,
yes because you could get into a good university through clearing(my brother did this)
no because if your predicted grades are too bad, you wont be able to apply to any good comp unis in jan 2024(yr13) as all unis will reject based off too low predicted grades.. so even if u got good grades u wont have any conditional offers from unis to get into.
Reply 8
Original post by aneer3wq3wt
yes and no,
yes because you could get into a good university through clearing(my brother did this)
no because if your predicted grades are too bad, you wont be able to apply to any good comp unis in jan 2024(yr13) as all unis will reject based off too low predicted grades.. so even if u got good grades u wont have any conditional offers from unis to get into.

do u mind me asking what uni ur brother went to? also this cleared everything up so thank you
Reply 9

You really have not messed up, lots of student get lower grades in year 12 mocks. Alevel questions are on a differen level to GCSE's so it takes a while getting use to them. My eldest and youngest came out with d's. Eldest was 2020 cohort, but did year 13 mocks and was at A*AAA, Youngest shes year 13 and her mocks this year was ABC (she needs BBD) so shes on track. Teachers even warned students at their school to expect lower grades in year 12 mocks, so its not uncommon. do some revision on your subjects this summer, and by the time you apply later on in the year you will have done some more tests, and then boost your predicted grades up.
When you are choosing universities, do not choose all A*A*A* unis. Its wise to choose unis which have a range of entrance grades, so you can make a more more informed choice come after christmas when you have done some more tests and mock exams.
do u mind me asking what uni ur brother went to? also this cleared everything up so thank you

he goes city of london uni - 3rd year in october now
sry for late reply
Reply 11

Why do you think they are called mocks? You now know what you need to do. Feel the fear and do it anyway. At A level, the only difference between A* and C is the amount of work and effort put in.

Good luck!

PS You can never screw up. If you make a bad choice.that simply determines a different set of options from what you originally anticipated.
I am going through a similar predicament.

Doing the IB here. But maybe some parallels can be drawn.
HLs: Math AA, Physics and Business Mgmt
SLs: Eng A L&L, French B and CS

Going to start Y13 in September.
Due to endless and a litany of social and personal problems that contributed to very high stress levels along with health problems, I lost focus in life and I ended up scoring 5s in all my subjects for the mocks. But it is never too late.

Although my stuff is gradually being sorted (or so do I believe), my grades took a massive hit, and so did my focus, my happiness and health. But now I am slowly rebuilding, and I have made a commitment. I want to get into that (my choice) college, and I won't stop working hard with conviction and dedication until I do.

Besides there is something that matters even more than grades, and that is your personality. If you show that despite getting not the best grades you have not given up, that is a big, big plus. Believe me.

But yes, Ghostlady is right. Not everyone does their best in Y12 mocks. But you need to bounce back before the next mock session, and be the person that everyone will look up to in academics.

Do not lose hope. Maintain a discipline and follow it with conviction.
You will get into your dream college.

Quick Reply

Latest