The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Applying to Durham with ABB predicted for CS

Hi all

Wondering if I should apply to Durham Computer Science with predictions ABB when requirements are A*AA. I don’t have fantastic GCSE’s (6’s and 7’s) but teachers have told me I have a fantastic PS.

Bearing in mind i qualify for a contextual, is it worth applying with such low predicteds in the hopes of an ambitious offer? How unlikely is it that I’d receive an offer? I know I could achieve better in the real exams but these are what I am being predicted and I can’t get them increased. Applying to Durham would make application risky as I already have some ambitious choices.

Lmk your thoughts, thanks
Reply 1
Original post by db06
Hi all

Wondering if I should apply to Durham Computer Science with predictions ABB when requirements are A*AA. I don’t have fantastic GCSE’s (6’s and 7’s) but teachers have told me I have a fantastic PS.

Bearing in mind i qualify for a contextual, is it worth applying with such low predicteds in the hopes of an ambitious offer? How unlikely is it that I’d receive an offer? I know I could achieve better in the real exams but these are what I am being predicted and I can’t get them increased. Applying to Durham would make application risky as I already have some ambitious choices.

Hi db06,

even though you qualify for contextuals you need to have obtained the actual requirements in order to be offered the contextual requirments. Its not worth applying but if you tell your teachers that you do qualify for the contextaul requirments (which differ from uni to uni) then they might allow you. youre less likey to revieve a contextaul offer with your predicted grades rn. If you know u can achieve better in the actual exams then an option is to go through clearing to that course in that uni which can lead to good and bad outcomes or apply to a uni with lower entery requirments bec its not just all about the higher the entery requirments ; the better the uni.

Hope that helped!
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Original post by GARETH^%
Hi db06,

even though you qualify for contextuals you need to have obtained the actual requirements in order to be offered the contextual requirments. Its not worth applying but if you tell your teachers that you do qualify for the contextaul requirments (which differ from uni to uni) then they might allow you. youre less likey to revieve a contextaul offer with your predicted grades rn. If you know u can achieve better in the actual exams then an option is to go through clearing to that course in that uni which can lead to good and bad outcomes or apply to a uni with lower entery requirments bec its not just all about the higher the entery requirments ; the better the uni.

Hope that helped!

You don’t need to be predicted the standard offer if you’re contextual eligible. Better grades do increase your chances but the first bit you’ve said is incorrect.

Original post by db06
Hi all

What’s their contextual offer?
Reply 3
Original post by Admit-One
You don’t need to be predicted the standard offer if you’re contextual eligible. Better grades do increase your chances but the first bit you’ve said is incorrect.

Hi thanks for the reply

Durham doesn't display the contextual requirements on their website or i could not find it. I’d assume two grades below thats what other people on here have gotten from Durham
Original post by db06
Hi thanks for the reply

Durham doesn't display the contextual requirements on their website or i could not find it. I’d assume two grades below thats what other people on here have gotten from Durham

One grade below the contextual offer would be worth a shot if you are eligible.

As their contextual offering isn't clear, I would contact them to ask what it might be for that course, and whether applying with ABB is encouraged. They should be honest if you have no chance.
Reply 5

i was told by my carrer advisor that you need to be predicted the standard offer in order to get the contextual offer(if you are applicabe for the contextual offer). idk but where did you hear that "You don’t need to be predicted the standard offer if you’re contextual eligible" if you dont mind

i was told by my carrer advisor that you need to be predicted the standard offer in order to get the contextual offer(if you are applicabe for the contextual offer). idk but where did you hear that "You don’t need to be predicted the standard offer if you’re contextual eligible" if you dont mind

Untrue. I've got offers from 2 unis so far with a grade and 2 grades below the standard offer and I'm contextual
Original post by shadowblades

Untrue. I've got offers from 2 unis so far with a grade and 2 grades below the standard offer and I'm contextual

Predicted grades*

Your careers advisor should be sacked for giving false advice. The response here is for someone who works in university admissions and knows far more than some careers advisor who is clearly not fit for their job.

The whole purpose of contextual offers is to increase the numbers of disadvantaged students in universities. There is a belief that students who are disadvantaged cannot be expected to achieve the same grades as those privileged. Having to achieve the same grades as others would make contextual offers useless.

The problem is CS is very oversubscribed in top universities like Durham. Even reaching the required grades might not be enough.

Your careers advisor is talking guff I'm afraid. You should go back and tell them to stop giving faulty advice because it's affecting people's uni choices. (Or feed it back anonamously via your tutor or year head.)

The whole point of a contextual offer is to counter the disadvantages someone had getting to that point. It's pointless if you then ask them to be predicted in line with the standard offer. Of course being predicted the contextual grades isn't a guarantee of an offer, but that is the same for the standard grades too.

I've an admissions co-ordinator and have worked in UG and PG admissions in the UK for years. My knowledge is firsthand from making contextual offers.
Your careers advisor is talking guff I'm afraid. You should go back and tell them to stop giving faulty advice because it's affecting people's uni choices. (Or feed it back anonamously via your tutor or year head.)

The whole point of a contextual offer is to counter the disadvantages someone had getting to that point. It's pointless if you then ask them to be predicted in line with the standard offer. Of course being predicted the contextual grades isn't a guarantee of an offer, but that is the same for the standard grades too.

I've an admissions co-ordinator and have worked in UG and PG admissions in the UK for years. My knowledge is firsthand from making contextual offers.

Thanks for the info.
If I get a contextual offer but apply with the standard grades and at the end of the year i get the exact contextual grades (below the grades i applied with), would the uni take me?
Original post by Anonymous
Thanks for the info.
If I get a contextual offer but apply with the standard grades and at the end of the year i get the exact contextual grades (below the grades i applied with), would the uni take me?

If you meet your offer conditions, (which may be contextual), then yes.

You predicted grades are basically irrelevant from the point at which you get the offer. You just have to meet the offer grades to be accepted.
If you meet your offer conditions, (which may be contextual), then yes.

You predicted grades are basically irrelevant from the point at which you get the offer. You just have to meet the offer grades to be accepted.

thanks
Original post by db06
Hi all

I also applied to Durham for CS! I don't know if you already submit your application but as long you already have an ABB or BBB university, I don't see why not to apply for Durham. You said you have ambitious choices, well with the requirement Durham would probably be a bit risky but not by a lot, it also depends on the subjects you took though. Just have 1 or 2 universities with the same or below your predicted and I think you should apply to Durham
Original post by db06
Hi all

Hi, I may be able to help as I got a contextual offer from Durham CS in 2020 (graduating from this course this year actually). My contextual offer was ABB but I managed to exceed it in the end. I'd wholly recommend applying regardless, especially if your PS is great! 🙂

Quick Reply

Latest