The Student Room Group

UCAS Offer Likelihood: Economics

October's coming to a close and I'm issuing a semi early application by the end of the month and I'm not too certain of how smart my choices were. For context, I'm at an A*BB (A* Economics, B Mathematics, B History) predicted and aiming to study financial Economics primarily but also accounting and finance. My choices are:

Accounting and Finance foundation year at City, University of London (BBB)
Economics and Finance, University of Exeter (A*AA-AAA with B grade req in maths?)
Accountancy and Economics, Glasgow (AAA-ABB)
Financial Economics, St Andrews (AAA-AAB)
Economics and Finance foundation year, University of Surrey (CCC)

I don't think my choices are too unrealistic but I am asking for insight here, I was initially going to choose UCL for Finance, stats and Econ instead of exeter but I felt my chances were close to none, not sure whether that was ideal. I imagine tieing financial economics with accounting and finance will be a little difficult but seems manageable. My top 2 choices are either St Andrews or City, I know St Andrews pretty competitive but am I very worse off?
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:
Reply 2
Original post by Jz0121
October's coming to a close and I'm issuing a semi early application by the end of the month and I'm not too certain of how smart my choices were. For context, I'm at an A*BB (A* Economics, B Mathematics, B History) predicted and aiming to study financial Economics primarily but also accounting and finance. My choices are:

Accounting and Finance foundation year at City, University of London (BBB)
Economics and Finance, University of Exeter (A*AA-AAA with B grade req in maths?)
Accountancy and Economics, Glasgow (AAA-ABB)
Financial Economics, St Andrews (AAA-AAB)
Economics and Finance foundation year, University of Surrey (CCC)

I don't think my choices are too unrealistic but I am asking for insight here, I was initially going to choose UCL for Finance, stats and Econ instead of exeter but I felt my chances were close to none, not sure whether that was ideal. I imagine tieing financial economics with accounting and finance will be a little difficult but seems manageable. My top 2 choices are either St Andrews or City, I know St Andrews pretty competitive but am I very worse off?

Financial Economics etc I imagine will be very mathematical. Are you sure you want to apply to those with a B in Maths? It suggests either you don't enjoy maths too much, in which case you will probably not like the degree, or you are not very good at it, in which case you won't succeed in the degree. Tbh you have a good chance for the other unis except Exeter and St Andrews which may be ambitious, but not impossible (ur PS and other stats would need to be excellent, perhaps with strong maths in PS?)
Reply 3
If any of these Unis want an A in Maths, then thats a silly choice - it will be an immediate rejection.
Be aware that 'grade ranges' like AAB/BBB usually men that the lower grade set will be for 'widening participation' contextual offers - do you qualify for these lower offer - if not you are looking at the higher grade offers on all of them.

As above, these are Maths heavy courses, and however much you might want the career, do you actually have the ability to enjoy the Uni course?
I'm also wondering why you are applying for a CCC Foundation - another BBB choice would make much more sense.
One possibility - https://www.royalholloway.ac.uk/studying-here/undergraduate/business-and-management/accounting-and-finance/

Quick Reply

Latest