The Student Room Group
Studying at Cardiff University
Cardiff University
Visit website

Uni of Cardiff

Hi, I’m from Cardiff and in my A2 year and I really want to go to Cardiff Uni. I achieved BBC at AS Level (C thanks to my dodgy Tudor exam) and I want to study History, with the lower offer being BBB. Do you think they will accept me, and is it realistic than I can get in? Thank you!
Original post by Anonymous
Hi, I’m from Cardiff and in my A2 year and I really want to go to Cardiff Uni. I achieved BBC at AS Level (C thanks to my dodgy Tudor exam) and I want to study History, with the lower offer being BBB. Do you think they will accept me, and is it realistic than I can get in? Thank you!

If you achieved BBC at AS levels, achieving BBB at A level is certainly achievable, and it is certainly realistic that Cardiff could make you an offer.

However, if you're applying for a very competitive course, you might find that that have too many people with better AS grades than you, and they simply can't make you an offer as a result. No one (not even Cardiff) know whether this is the case or not, as they don't yet know how many people will apply with what grades.
Studying at Cardiff University
Cardiff University
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by DataVenia
If you achieved BBC at AS levels, achieving BBB at A level is certainly achievable, and it is certainly realistic that Cardiff could make you an offer.

However, if you're applying for a very competitive course, you might find that that have too many people with better AS grades than you, and they simply can't make you an offer as a result. No one (not even Cardiff) know whether this is the case or not, as they don't yet know how many people will apply with what grades.

Hi, thank you for your help! Does making it my first choice help in any way? I am thinking of history or history and politics, do you think they’re very competitive?
Hi, thank you for your help! Does making it my first choice help in any way? I am thinking of history or history and politics, do you think they’re very competitive?

Unis make offers before you decide which to firm and which to insure, so that decision can make no difference with regards to whether or not they choose to make an offer.

History doesn't seem to be massively over-subscribed. I say that based upon the fact that the Uni Guide say that that "Most popular A-Levels studied (and grade achieved)" are "History
B | English Literature B | Mathematics C" (source).

Modern History and Politics tends to get higher grades: "History B | Government and Politics B |
English Literature B" (source), so is presumably more competitive.
Cardiff likes to keep welsh/Cardiff students in wales, so they do accept a lot of welsh candidates. If you get the minimum grades, show you’re passionate and write a solid PS you should be fine

Hi there,

Current Cardiff uni student here!

I think that with those grades, it's definitely possible to get an offer with those predicted grades. However, I think that it's likely that you will have to be able to meet the offer in order to get a place - but this doesn't seem unrealistic! I'd just say to really emphasis why you want to study History at Cardiff University in your personal statement.

I also know that if you do an EPQ, you get a lower offer - "Extended/International Project Qualification: Applicants with grade A in the EPQ/IPQ will typically receive an offer one grade lower than the standard offer. Please note that any subject-specific requirements must still be met.". If this is an option for you, it may be worth considering!

I hope that helps!

All the best,

Jaz - Cardiff student rep
Reply 6
Thank you all for your help, I feel a lot more confident :smile: I achieved those at AS however I’ve not received my predicted grades yet. In Wales, is it possible to have higher predicted than my AS Results? From what my History teacher said, I assume I’ll get a higher predicted than a C as it was one bad exam last yet, and he kind of hinted towards that. Will that help me for an offer? :smile:
Reply 7
Thank you all for your help, I feel a lot more confident :smile: I achieved those at AS however I’ve not received my predicted grades yet. In Wales, is it possible to have higher predicted than my AS Results? From what my History teacher said, I assume I’ll get a higher predicted than a C as it was one bad exam last yet, and he kind of hinted towards that. Will that help me for an offer? :smile:

Also I forgot to add I’m eligible for a contextual offer. Does this help with offers?
Reply 8
Original post by CardiffUni Rep
Hi there,

Current Cardiff uni student here!

I think that with those grades, it's definitely possible to get an offer with those predicted grades. However, I think that it's likely that you will have to be able to meet the offer in order to get a place - but this doesn't seem unrealistic! I'd just say to really emphasis why you want to study History at Cardiff University in your personal statement.

I also know that if you do an EPQ, you get a lower offer - "Extended/International Project Qualification: Applicants with grade A in the EPQ/IPQ will typically receive an offer one grade lower than the standard offer. Please note that any subject-specific requirements must still be met.". If this is an option for you, it may be worth considering!

I hope that helps!

All the best,

Jaz - Cardiff student rep

Oh interesting, do colleges sponsor EPQs or is it independent?

Most sixth forms/colleges do the Welsh Baccalaureate, which includes an extended project and some unis including Cardiff consider it as an extra A Level (and might consider reducing one grade - don’t quote me on this). EPQs are used less in Wales as we’ve got the Welsh Baccalaureate, but if you ask your college if any teachers know how to help you do an EPQ they may be able to help. 🤷*♀️

For Cardiff specifically, I wouldn't worry too much about predicted grades. I emailed their admissions team earlier this year and asked about the percentage of applicants with particular predicted grades who received offers. Whilst they weren't able to answer my question, they did add the following: "However, what I can tell you is that we do not use predicted grades in our decision-making for any programme, so any data you do receive will likely not be helpful if you are looking at it from a predicted grades perspective."

You'll have to ask your college to see if it's an option. My college offered it and gave me a supervisor etc. I'd recommend emailing them ASAP to get more information on if they offer it and if it's right for you :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending