The Student Room Group

McGill and the IB diploma

Does any1 know how they give their offers on the IB diploma, is it unconditional or conditional based on your predicted.

Also, wat would be a competitive score for the BCom program?
Reply 1
If you give your predicted scores, it will be a conditional offer. For the Bcom program, I'm not quite so sure in the case of McGill. For Queen's however, their website states that a competitive score is 34 points (exclusive of IB Diploma points). But they don't only look at your academics, they look at your ECs too. But I would be guessing somewhere around 40 points and you're safe in terms of academics.
Reply 2
They don't look at your ECs. You can't even list them if you want too (unless you've been out of school).
Reply 3
I applied to McGill last year with a predicted grade of 44..so I don't really know what would be classified as a "competitive" score. However, I've read at forums where people get offers with a predicted of 34..so i guess it depends on the subject you're applying to.
The offer given is technically conditional as they say sth around the lines of "maintain your current academic level", but I've heard as long as you don't do too poorly, they'll still take you in
I hope this helps:smile:
Reply 4
I'm pretty sure if you go on to UCAS and check under the "Search" category for your particular course you'll get the needed information. Or even if you check the 'entry requirements' on your respective university's website.

I had a predicted 38 and I applied for Law at LSE and Oxford because their minimum requirement for an application was 38. But I know of a lot of people who've applied for courses at Unis with predicteds lower than the requirements and still got offers.

If you apply with your predicted score you will get a conditional offer and when your results come out they become unconditional, if you fulfill your requirements.
Reply 5
Original post by arrowhead
I'm pretty sure if you go on to UCAS and check under the "Search" category for your particular course you'll get the needed information. Or even if you check the 'entry requirements' on your respective university's website.

I had a predicted 38 and I applied for Law at LSE and Oxford because their minimum requirement for an application was 38. But I know of a lot of people who've applied for courses at Unis with predicteds lower than the requirements and still got offers.

If you apply with your predicted score you will get a conditional offer and when your results come out they become unconditional, if you fulfill your requirements.

Mcgill isnt in the UK
Reply 6
A guy from my school applied last year to McGill with predicted 37 and got an essentially unconditional offer of just 28 points.
That was the case for a lot of the people at my school applying to canadian unis, they were predicted A LOT higher than the offers.
Another guy however applied to McGill (two different courses there) and didn't get into either and he was predicted decent points, mid 30s if not higher and didn't get in to either course. He didn't apply early due to administrative problems at our school and a lot of the documentation got lost in the mail, so I think this played a large factor in being unsuccessful.

From what I've understood, Canadian unis base offers entirely on predicted grades and not on personal statements or references as theyre not required, which in lots of ways makes it harder to differentiate between candidates, as you can tell a lot about a person by their PS.

BTW, I think for most courses, you have to take Math SL rather than studies (check before applying!)
So i was accepted to mcgill with 36/42 preditced IB points....... but what do i need in the final exams to keep my offer.

on the letter, it just says ' maintain academic standards and get the IB diploma' but i heard some ppl say that they can get 30 points in the final, and still stay in. Is this true
Original post by --Butters--
So i was accepted to mcgill with 36/42 preditced IB points....... but what do i need in the final exams to keep my offer.

on the letter, it just says ' maintain academic standards and get the IB diploma' but i heard some ppl say that they can get 30 points in the final, and still stay in. Is this true

I have the same issue right now. I got into McGill with 38/42 predicted and just ended up with 32/42 final exams. I have not yet received any reply from McGill and I don't know whether I can go in or not. The message I obtained in my acceptance letter is the same as in your message. What will happen now?
Reply 9
Original post by NicolasRomera
I have the same issue right now. I got into McGill with 38/42 predicted and just ended up with 32/42 final exams. I have not yet received any reply from McGill and I don't know whether I can go in or not. The message I obtained in my acceptance letter is the same as in your message. What will happen now?

You are not alone. Predicted 39 and I got 31 for McGill. I was told that if you get more than 4 marks away from your predicted then it goes to the higher echelons to decide so I am waiting. I guess it depends on the course, ultimately. Good luck.
Original post by GoodVampa
You are not alone. Predicted 39 and I got 31 for McGill. I was told that if you get more than 4 marks away from your predicted then it goes to the higher echelons to decide so I am waiting. I guess it depends on the course, ultimately. Good luck.

did you get in @GoodVampa?
Original post by ananya2006
did you get in @GoodVampa?
im not op but i was in a similair boat, predicted 39/42 and got 33/45 in the finals. they still let me in and i even got 30 credits automatically because my HLs were 665

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending