The Student Room Group

Are these good IGCSE subjects?

Hi! I am doing my IGCSEs (EDEXCEL) and I wanted to know if my subjects are a good choice. These are the subjects that I am planning on doing:
1. English
2. English Lit.
3. Mathematics
4. Biology
5. Chemistry
6. Physics
7. ICT
8. History/ Geography ( not sure yet)
9. Economics
I am not entirely sure whether I am going to do Economics yet. I am interested in the subject and would like to learn it though. Let me know if its a good choice.
Also, I don't know if I should do History or Geography. Which one would you recommend?
Please let me know, what you think about my subjects. I would also appreciate any advice or tips from you'll.
I will look forward to your responses!
Thank You!
Original post by Mimi567
Hi! I am doing my IGCSEs (EDEXCEL) and I wanted to know if my subjects are a good choice. These are the subjects that I am planning on doing:
1. English
2. English Lit.
3. Mathematics
4. Biology
5. Chemistry
6. Physics
7. ICT
9. Economics
I am not entirely sure whether I am going to do Economics yet. I am interested in the subject and would like to learn it though. Let me know if its a good choice.
Also, I don't know if I should do History or Geography. Which one would you recommend?
Please let me know, what you think about my subjects. I would also appreciate any advice or tips from you'll.
Thank You!

hey gcse subjects dont matter too much. unless u have the basics like maths/english and sometimes sciences. me personally i hated economics (but that was for alevels) but you'll find ppl who hate and love every subject. in terms of history or geography, i did geography and always found history boring. if ur more into writing essays id say history. but i think geography is easy to understand but some ppl say its boring cus u 'just learn about rocks' which i disagree with. pick what's best for you and go with ur gut. good luck xx
Hey! Another IGCSE student here, I’m doing my gcses in may/june 2023 so imma just give my opinion on these subjects the best I can
English- umm depends if it’s ESL or FLE, ESL is really easy tbh I did it last acedemic year and got an A* and I didn’t do too much intense learning, I just did a few past papers and mostly watched loadsss of videos so yeah it wasn’t too hard. I’m doing FLE in may and it doesn’t seem too hard, mostly because im a huge bookworm so im used to this type of stuff
2. English Lit.- I did this paper too last year and got a low A*, only 6 marks from a strong one tho, but this requires loads of learning and practice since in the literature part I’d have to learn loads of quotes and all that jazz, and practicing your analysis for the poems. I had it a bit easy because our exams were the last to be changed because of Covid. But huge tip DONT expect something to come in the exam and pay attention to that, and not everything, the exams most likely going to surprise you in the weirdest of ways, pay equal attention to everything.
3. Mathematics- LOADS AND LOADS of past papers, I’m rubbish at math honestly, got bad grades this term but am still practicing past papers, and I think I’ve improved.
4. Biology-love this subject but retention is needed, so it’s better to understand the topic rather than blindly memorize it
5. Chemistry- oohhh i detest this subject just because it’s a bit confusing and has loads of content, but it’s fine if you keep up and keep practicing, all you need is a good teacher (which I DO NOT have unfortunately)
6. Physics- it’s like an eh subject not too challenging and it’s not a piece of cake either, just understand the topics no grasp the concepts
7. ICT-oh er I actually had a trash teacher last year so he was practically useless in helping us study, but I still managed A*s through the year, honestly for the theory part just remember the stuff and practice for the practicals.
8. History/ Geography ( not sure yet)- I dont take economics but a few of my friends do and they said that history is fun but you need to learn LOADS of content, geo is like fine for them but they say there’s 12 markers so that gets annoying
9. Economics- I don’t take eco but I think my friends said it was pretty easy and you just need to get used to the style so you can bag all the marks.

That’s all i can say and the last tip is to do past papers to perfect your exam paper skills, especially in the sciences since they do have to recycle the type of questions, and math is just a practice subject sadly. You’ll find videos of people on yt on how they got A*s so watch a few of those and on TSR you’ll find loads of people with advice and revision techniques.
It would be better if you put up your exam boards so other people can help you better :smile:
Good luck in choosing your subjects!
PS: Dont pick your subjects because you think they’re fun or because of your friends, do research on it and see if you can cope! (which u probs can)
Original post by Mimi567
1. English
2. English Lit.
3. Mathematics
4. Biology
5. Chemistry
6. Physics
7. ICT
9. Economics
Thank You!

Heya!
You have a good selection :h: Typically unis require just english and maths (except a few like Oxford), so pick the ones you like! I did Economics and really enjoyed it and continued doing it for a-levels. I also did History and there's a lot of content to remember (dates and events) so can get a bit overwhelming quickly! You could check out the content for both and see which one you prefer more. If you need some free resources for science subjects, check out Study Mind!

I hope this helps!
Milena
UCL PFE
Study Mind
Reply 4
Original post by pharmgirl4
hey gcse subjects dont matter too much. unless u have the basics like maths/english and sometimes sciences. me personally i hated economics (but that was for alevels) but you'll find ppl who hate and love every subject. in terms of history or geography, i did geography and always found history boring. if ur more into writing essays id say history. but i think geography is easy to understand but some ppl say its boring cus u 'just learn about rocks' which i disagree with. pick what's best for you and go with ur gut. good luck xx

Hey! First of all, thank you for taking your time to reply. I agree with what you say, that's why i decided to go with the subjects i'm most interested in and which i think will benefit me the most. I thought of doing economics cuz I'm really interested in the subject and the syllabus is not that bad for igcses.(although i do understand why you sometimes hate it) As for geo/history, I decided to not do either, cuz I'm self-studying rn ( I go to a couple of classes by individual teachers but its not the same as school) and I'm already in a rush for time, as i want to write my exams by 2024. So I didn't think I'd cope well with the workload. I'm satisfied with my sub choices now and all your replies helped me a lot. Sorry for the awfully late reply and thank you again! (p.s. i dont think geo is boring "just cuz u learn abt rocks", there's so much more to it)
Reply 5
Original post by aurora_101
Hey! Another IGCSE student here, I’m doing my gcses in may/june 2023 so imma just give my opinion on these subjects the best I can
English- umm depends if it’s ESL or FLE, ESL is really easy tbh I did it last acedemic year and got an A* and I didn’t do too much intense learning, I just did a few past papers and mostly watched loadsss of videos so yeah it wasn’t too hard. I’m doing FLE in may and it doesn’t seem too hard, mostly because im a huge bookworm so im used to this type of stuff
2. English Lit.- I did this paper too last year and got a low A*, only 6 marks from a strong one tho, but this requires loads of learning and practice since in the literature part I’d have to learn loads of quotes and all that jazz, and practicing your analysis for the poems. I had it a bit easy because our exams were the last to be changed because of Covid. But huge tip DONT expect something to come in the exam and pay attention to that, and not everything, the exams most likely going to surprise you in the weirdest of ways, pay equal attention to everything.
3. Mathematics- LOADS AND LOADS of past papers, I’m rubbish at math honestly, got bad grades this term but am still practicing past papers, and I think I’ve improved.
4. Biology-love this subject but retention is needed, so it’s better to understand the topic rather than blindly memorize it
5. Chemistry- oohhh i detest this subject just because it’s a bit confusing and has loads of content, but it’s fine if you keep up and keep practicing, all you need is a good teacher (which I DO NOT have unfortunately)
6. Physics- it’s like an eh subject not too challenging and it’s not a piece of cake either, just understand the topics no grasp the concepts
7. ICT-oh er I actually had a trash teacher last year so he was practically useless in helping us study, but I still managed A*s through the year, honestly for the theory part just remember the stuff and practice for the practicals.
8. History/ Geography ( not sure yet)- I dont take economics but a few of my friends do and they said that history is fun but you need to learn LOADS of content, geo is like fine for them but they say there’s 12 markers so that gets annoying
9. Economics- I don’t take eco but I think my friends said it was pretty easy and you just need to get used to the style so you can bag all the marks.

That’s all i can say and the last tip is to do past papers to perfect your exam paper skills, especially in the sciences since they do have to recycle the type of questions, and math is just a practice subject sadly. You’ll find videos of people on yt on how they got A*s so watch a few of those and on TSR you’ll find loads of people with advice and revision techniques.
It would be better if you put up your exam boards so other people can help you better :smile:
Good luck in choosing your subjects!
PS: Dont pick your subjects because you think they’re fun or because of your friends, do research on it and see if you can cope! (which u probs can)

Hey! Thank you so much for taking your time to share your tips and advice.:smile: I appreciate it a lot! I decided to economics, cuz i found myself very interested in the subject and i think it will benefit me as well. As for geo/history, i decided to do neither cuz i'm self studying (while going to classes by individual teachers) and i felt like the workload might be a bit too much for me to handle. I'll keep your advice in mind and hopefully ace my exams. Also sorry for the awfully late reply. Thank you again!
(p.s. hope your exams went well)
Reply 6
Original post by StudyMind
Heya!
You have a good selection :h: Typically unis require just english and maths (except a few like Oxford), so pick the ones you like! I did Economics and really enjoyed it and continued doing it for a-levels. I also did History and there's a lot of content to remember (dates and events) so can get a bit overwhelming quickly! You could check out the content for both and see which one you prefer more. If you need some free resources for science subjects, check out Study Mind!

I hope this helps!
Milena
UCL PFE
Study Mind

Hey! Thank you so much for your advice. I decided to do Economics and I'm currently enjoying the syllabus. As for Geo/History, i decided to do neither because I felt like the workload will be a tad bit too overwhelming for me (as you have mentioned) I checked out Study Mind as well, its really helpful. I apologize for the awfully late reply and thank you again! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest