The Student Room Group

Pre-Med Projects 1 Week Work Experience - Worth it?

Recently I've been casually browsing medicine work experiences and I came across a 1 week work experience by Pre-Med projects.
They offer work experience at least 2 different Hospitals and a 35 Hours Work Experience plus some additional BMAT and UCAT preparation and interview preparation.
Sounds great to me however they say the overall cost is £1895 and frankly that's just a bit expensive.
They do give us the option to split it into monthly payments (which we definitely will have to do) but I'm still hesitant about it and unsure whether I should consider booking it.
Currently Y12 studying for medicine at a top university so I'm looking for any worthwhile experience.
Any tips, help or advice on the matter appreciated.
Many thanks!
Hey there, thanks for posting a question in the Medicine forum. :biggrin:

The Medicine forum gets a high volume of questions being posted, and some of these are already answered by the resources and Megathreads that members of the community and volunteers have created. This is an automatic post which is designed to highlight these resources. Below is a list of threads and articles that could answer your question (you should be looking in the original post of the megathreads). If one of the below threads is a more relevant place to ask your question, please post a reply in that thread to ask your question. If your query is answered by one of the Megathreads or articles linked below, and you would like us to close this thread for you, please reply to this thread with just the words "thank you". A member of our team will then get it locked.

Megathreads
(Please read the first post, before then posting any further questions you have within that thread.)
The "Which Medical School Should I Apply To?" Uberthread
The Ultimate 'Am I Good Enough For Medicine?' Angst Thread
Medicine A-Level subjects queries
Work Experience and Voluntary Work

2023 Applicants:
Official Undergraduate Medicine 2023 Entry
Graduate Entry Medicine 2023 Entry
Medicine 2023 entry for resit / retake / gap year applicants
A100 Medicine for International Students 2023 Entry
Medicine Interview discussion 2023 Entry
2023 entry A100 / A101 Medicine fastest and slowest offer senders
Index of Individual Medical School Applicants' threads 2023 Entry

2023 Admissions Tests:
UCAT 2023 Discussion
BMAT 2023 Discussion
GAMSAT 2023 Discussion
UCAT 2023 Results

Other application years:
Official Undergraduate Medicine 2024 Entry
Graduate Entry Medicine 2024 Entry
Graduate Entry Medicine 2025 Entry

Useful Articles:
GCSE Requirements for Medicine
Everything you need to know about the BMAT
Work Experience as a Graduate or Mature student
Medicine Personal Statement Advice
Medicine Personal Statement Advice (Graduate Entry)
Interview Frequently Asked Questions
MMI Medicine Interview Tips
What to do after an unsuccessful first application

If your query is answered by one of the Megathreads or articles linked above, and you would like us to close this thread for you, please reply to this thread with just the words "thank you". A member of our team will then get it locked.
Original post by Kacper Z
Recently I've been casually browsing medicine work experiences and I came across a 1 week work experience by Pre-Med projects.
They offer work experience at least 2 different Hospitals and a 35 Hours Work Experience plus some additional BMAT and UCAT preparation and interview preparation.
Sounds great to me however they say the overall cost is £1895 and frankly that's just a bit expensive.
They do give us the option to split it into monthly payments (which we definitely will have to do) but I'm still hesitant about it and unsure whether I should consider booking it.
Currently Y12 studying for medicine at a top university so I'm looking for any worthwhile experience.
Any tips, help or advice on the matter appreciated.
Many thanks!

Hey! Fellow med applicant here :smile:
Personally I would say it’s not worth it- out of all the advice i’ve heard regarding work experience, the main point always seems to be to not pay for any form of work experience- chances are you’ll be able to find it yourself for free. A lot of these programmes will happily take large sums of money from you for something you could perhaps find yourself. I know there’s a lot of virtual work experience online that you can find for free- Brighton and Sussex Medical School offer a great virtual programme, so that’s definitely worth checking out. In terms of hospital work experience, check some hospital websites close to you, as a lot of them have application forms or email addresses that you can use to contact them to arrange a shadowing placement. I managed to find a volunteering placement at my local hospital through their website and it’s given me some great experiences. As far as Im aware, work experience is all about how you reflect on it rather than how much you do, as different people have different amounts of access to it.

With the ucat and bmat support i completely understand wanting the support as there’s not really many options out there regarding preparation . However, I do know that you can get support from elsewhere for much cheaper- I’m currently using Medify and it’s incredibly helpful. They also offer a bundle which makes it a lot cheaper if you plan on sitting both ucat and bmat which provides resources and tutorials for both rather than buying separately- the mocks are so so helpful in measuring your progress and there’s huge question banks to nail down practice. Medify ranges from £35-£500 + so it’s definitely a lot more cost effective- the bundle I’m using was £123 and it’s got all resources and support i’ll need up until both exams

hope this helps :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending