The Student Room Group

Repeating second year of uni, preparing earlier than others?

So I left university December 2022 due to illness. I am now repeating the year in September 2023 . However as I left in December 2022 I pretty much have familiarised myself with one of the modules so have prepared for it early and accessed unis library. Will they know I have done this? I’ve already completed one of the assignments for when I go back to uni in sept 2023 so I’m less stressed this way. So I’ve been spending the last few months accessing a bunch of resources and making sure I get a good grade. Is this a bad thing? Will I get caught out ? Will they know? As this pretty much leaves the other pupils who will be in my year as a disadvantage as I’ve already completed mine. I’m overthinking!!! Hope this make sense!
What you have done makes perfect sense and you have used your time wisely. Assuming you have a staff member responsible for your transition / return, you might want to check that the assignments haven't changed.
You've not broken any rules and there's nothing 'to be caught out' about.
Original post by Maiya-016
So I left university December 2022 due to illness. I am now repeating the year in September 2023 . However as I left in December 2022 I pretty much have familiarised myself with one of the modules so have prepared for it early and accessed unis library. Will they know I have done this? I’ve already completed one of the assignments for when I go back to uni in sept 2023 so I’m less stressed this way. So I’ve been spending the last few months accessing a bunch of resources and making sure I get a good grade. Is this a bad thing? Will I get caught out ? Will they know? As this pretty much leaves the other pupils who will be in my year as a disadvantage as I’ve already completed mine. I’m overthinking!!! Hope this make sense!

Hey!
It's understandable that you're concerned about accessing and preparing for one of your modules in advance. While I'm not able to predict the specific actions or policies of your university, I can provide some general guidance as a student ambassador.

Firstly, it's important to review your university's academic policies and regulations regarding repeating a year or module. Some universities may have specific guidelines about accessing resources or completing assignments before the official start of the academic year. It's crucial to ensure that you're not violating any rules or engaging in any activities that may be considered academic misconduct.

If you're unsure about the rules, I would recommend reaching out to your university's academic support services, such as your academic advisor or the relevant department, to seek clarification. They will be able to provide you with accurate information about what is allowed and what is not.

In general, universities expect students to engage with their coursework and materials during the designated academic periods. Accessing resources and preparing for the module in advance may give you an advantage, but it's also important to remember that learning is not just about completing assignments. The interactive aspect of classroom discussions, group work, and feedback from professors and peers plays a significant role in the learning process. So even if you have completed one assignment, there may still be valuable insights and learning opportunities in the upcoming module.

Additionally, it's worth considering the ethical aspect of accessing resources and completing assignments before the official start of the module. While it's great to be proactive and prepared, it's also important to maintain a level playing field for all students. Sharing information or materials with your classmates before the module begins may be perceived as unfair or inconsiderate.

Ultimately, it's best to consult with your university's academic support services to ensure that you are following the appropriate guidelines and making informed decisions. They can provide you with specific guidance based on your university's policies and regulations.

Best Wishes
Priya :smile:
Postgraduate Ambassador
University of Southampton
@Maiya-016

It's great that you want to be pro-active and to put yourself in a good position for the coming year, but while general reading and refreshing your mind with stuff you learned in your first year might be helpful, it might be advisable to avoid trying to complete assignments ahead of Year 2.

They may make changes to the modules and you may find that you have wasted your time or have to redo them : ( If you have already spent a lot time on them, already then this will feel really frustrating!

Also if you try and get too much ahead now, you may find yourself very bored during term-time and demotivated!

It might be an idea to email your tutor to see what would be good prep ahead of September, but after that to try and enjoy the summer.

Year 2 is intense, so it's good to rest now and to think about things that were helpful in the first year ,and what may be important as you return to your studies: having a good study-rest balance, being part of a society or eating more nutritious food etc...and how you plan to manage these things. This could put you in a good position to return to your studies with a clear, focused and healthy life balance.

All the best,

Oluwatosin 2nd year student University of Huddersfield

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending