The Student Room Group

Greek Theatre

How to get full marks in 30 markers for Greek theatre?
Like how do I structure it, should I use quotes, how do I engage with scholars, etc?
For example - I have just been given an essay "How were women presented in Greek society in the plays you have studied?"

for reference I am doing The bacchae, Oedipus, and Frogs
I can't comment on how to get full marks, but I think I can help with your structure. There may be other ways to structure and utilise these parts, but this is what has worked for me personally. If you're at all in doubt, discuss with your teacher or tutor.

The three main components to your essay should be your voice (you answering the question and demonstrating your understanding of the topic), primary sources (direct quotes from the plays you're using), and secondary sources (direct quotes or opinions from later scholars).

You should treat these three things a bit like a sandwich: Your voice, should be the main voice to answer the question. Primary sources, you should be analysing and using as proof. Secondary sources, are there to either support or contrast against your argument. Try not to get caught in the trap of only repeating/ quoting what secondary sources are saying, and make sure you are answering the question in your own words.

Split your answer into key points that you want to cover. Then, for every point that you make, you should then use a primary source to back that point up, as proof. Think about your why and how. How does the quote you are using show demonstrate the point you are making?

Once you've done this, you can then utilise a secondary source to back up your statements. Do you agree or disagree with what scholars are saying? Why?

I hope this helps! Like I said, this has worked for me personally, but first and foremost I would adopt the structure that your teacher or tutor recommends.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending