The Student Room Group

how to answer a greek theatre 20 marker?

i am totally confused on how you’d answer an a level 20 marker for greek theatre! any tips on structure, content etc? please help
a 20 marker is baso just a 30 marker without scholarship but usually in my intro i make a judgment, so like you'll say to what extent you agree or disagree. you need to make references to the two sources they provide. structure it with ur strongest arguments first but i think you're expected to provide a counter argument even if its a para just to show another opinion. and for each point you need to use evidence from the play to support it, but just make sure ur referencing to the events in the play not contextual knowledge from the myth so like in oedipus by sophocles the tragic events have already happened prior to the events of the play. if u need any essay plans or anything message me ive got some for theatre, world of the hero
Reply 2
thank you so much for this help. i am specifically stuck on these 20 markers because i am totally lost on what you’d write for them. for example:

‘Going to the theatre was an essential part of life for the ancient Athenians and the people of Attica’

‘The Actors perform a more important role in tragedy than the chorus’

‘The Chorus made no contribution to the success of a Greek comedy‘

Like i am just completely lost at what content is needed and it’s stressing me out because i have exams in September, would really appreciate if you could help me out thanks. also please could i have your essay plans for any topic, especially World of the hero (odyssey) and greek theatre too pls (oedipus, bacchae, frogs)
Original post by marz11
thank you so much for this help. i am specifically stuck on these 20 markers because i am totally lost on what you’d write for them. for example:

‘Going to the theatre was an essential part of life for the ancient Athenians and the people of Attica’

‘The Actors perform a more important role in tragedy than the chorus’

‘The Chorus made no contribution to the success of a Greek comedy‘

Like i am just completely lost at what content is needed and it’s stressing me out because i have exams in September, would really appreciate if you could help me out thanks. also please could i have your essay plans for any topic, especially World of the hero (odyssey) and greek theatre too pls (oedipus, bacchae, frogs)

Yeah no probs. In the first question, id reference to the Dionysia and look at how popular it was esp with men and boys in the dithyramb chorus competition. you could also talk ab some of the vases n shows theatre was important, ref to how 'boys have teachers and the young men have poets' in frogs how theatre taught the people n just link it back to the question.

For the other questions just talk about how the audience and how themes are made/added to by both of the chorus and actors in like bacchae. then just judge which themes/ideas presented by both are the most important to the progression of the play.

for the question on the chorus, i did this in my mock last year and you've got to focus on the chorus. so do a para on the role of the chorus in a comedy and the parabasis, then u could prob use how the frogs chorus swaps from frogs to initiates and discuss how themes are developed ect. n maybe find a theme in the comedy that isn't developed by the chorus for ur counter argument.
hope this helps :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending