The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Durham Classics 2023 applicants

Hi! I’m a student with a conditional offer for Classics 2023 at Durham - I’d love to get in touch with some other new entries. Hoping we can use this as a place of discussion <3

Scroll to see replies

Hey, what are you studying?
I'm going to be studying Psychology with a BBB offer at grey college
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 2
At the moment I'm studying Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Classical Civilisations at A level - kinda kicking my ass but it's alright, we're coping so far. Have you got exams coming up soon? What subjects do you take at the moment?
Original post by elahelm
At the moment I'm studying Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Classical Civilisations at A level - kinda kicking my ass but it's alright, we're coping so far. Have you got exams coming up soon? What subjects do you take at the moment?

ahhh thats a tough mix of subject - jeez I cannot comprehend just three of my subjects of Psychology, Biology and Geography!!
my exams start on Wednesday- eeeek
when do your exams start?
message me on Ig @acemanthey
Original post by elahelm
Hi! I’m a student with a conditional offer for Classics 2023 at Durham - I’d love to get in touch with some other new entries. Hoping we can use this as a place of discussion <3

Got an offer for archaeology! And I do classics at a level. What exam board are you on?
legendary, if you find my will to live under all of this revision , you can place it into any museum of your choice
Original post by čiūto-tūto
Got an offer for archaeology! And I do classics at a level. What exam board are you on?
Original post by revisionblanc
legendary, if you find my will to live under all of this revision , you can place it into any museum of your choice

nah same, my first exam is on monday and I've done like 20 minutes of revision :,( it's ancient literature so I'm just gonna wing it and hope for the best
Reply 7
Original post by elahelm

i also have an offer - durham is my insurance but my firm is A*AA which is not gonna happen so i'm planning for durham rn lol. what college did you get allocated? if you do classics a level, how are you feeling about the exam on tuesday bc i am bricking it
Original post by Anonymous
i also have an offer - durham is my insurance but my firm is A*AA which is not gonna happen so i'm planning for durham rn lol. what college did you get allocated? if you do classics a level, how are you feeling about the exam on tuesday bc i am bricking it

I got josephine butler. Lucky enough to get a conditional so my offer is BBC which I should get with not much trouble - durham is my firm. Lowkey terrified for the exam because of the odyssey section, I kind of hate the way homer writes - also need to memorise some scholars.
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 9
I got josephine butler. Lucky enough to get a conditional so my offer is BBC which I should get with not much trouble - durham is my firm. Lowkey terrified for the exam because of the odyssey section, I kind of hate the way homer writes - also need to memorise some scholars.

i somehow got univ college which i was so shocked about. trying not to get too excited because it is only provisional.

i don't do the odyssey, but i absolutely despise the aeneid and tbh barely know what happens in the last half of the book. i'm planning on leaving scholars until the morning of - i never remember them otherwise lol.
i somehow got univ college which i was so shocked about. trying not to get too excited because it is only provisional.

i don't do the odyssey, but i absolutely despise the aeneid and tbh barely know what happens in the last half of the book. i'm planning on leaving scholars until the morning of - i never remember them otherwise lol.

aww damn I loved the aeneid, I thought it read better than Homer. Can't say for the iliad but odyssey is so boring and I kind of hate all the characters. Might also be leaving scholars ngl.
Reply 11

Archaeology sounds amazing - I've got some friends of to do that at uni as well! Not Durham tho, unforutnately, or I would get you in touch. I'm on the OCR exam board for Classics and have my World of the Hero (Iliad and Aeneid) paper this Tuesday. Currently trying to cram revise as many modern scholars as I can lol.
What board are you revising for rn?
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 12

I got Hild and Bede as my college - one of my lower choices but I'm too stressed to really care about that at the moment, sure I'll find time to be a little more gutted about it later lmao.
As for Tuesday, I am Not Ready for anything to do with the Aeneid and I know literally no modern scholars so I'm highkey relying on manifestation at this point 😭. Where did you apply as your firm? I know Edinburgh was asking for A*AA from me and I fully noped out of that ~
Reply 13
aww damn I loved the aeneid, I thought it read better than Homer. Can't say for the iliad but odyssey is so boring and I kind of hate all the characters. Might also be leaving scholars ngl.

very glad that everyone seems to be in a similar boat with the scholars because I have never been able to wrap my head around knowing them off by heart, idk how they can ask all that. also I respect your liking of the Aeneid but just Cannot get on board with it, you're a stronger person than I.
Original post by elahelm
Archaeology sounds amazing - I've got some friends of to do that at uni as well! Not Durham tho, unforutnately, or I would get you in touch. I'm on the OCR exam board for Classics and have my World of the Hero (Iliad and Aeneid) paper this Tuesday. Currently trying to cram revise as many modern scholars as I can lol.
What board are you revising for rn?

OCR as well. Other modules are imperial image and greek religion. I love them tbf so a healthy amount of worry for those papers. Should be all good!
Reply 15
OCR as well. Other modules are imperial image and greek religion. I love them tbf so a healthy amount of worry for those papers. Should be all good!

Dang my other modules are Greek Theatre and Athenian Democracy, but honestly I’m in a similar mindset about them as you are. I’ll do revision when they’re closer, but they’ll probably be fine.
Original post by elahelm
Dang my other modules are Greek Theatre and Athenian Democracy, but honestly I’m in a similar mindset about them as you are. I’ll do revision when they’re closer, but they’ll probably be fine.

Oh you would have loved the aeneid so much more if you'd done imperial image :frown: would have loved to do greek theatre though
Reply 17
Oh you would have loved the aeneid so much more if you'd done imperial image :frown: would have loved to do greek theatre though

I can kind of get behind the Aeneid because I did Foundation of Rome modules in Ancient History GCSE? I just take issue with Virgil’s writing if I’m honest - Aeneas is just. So unengaging to me. All he does is tragically do the bidding of the gods. Poor, sad, dutiful man. His best parts are when he goes a little insane and I love that for him, I just wish there were more you know?
But also I’m partial to my problematic faves Mezentius and Achilles so. I stay winning with the toxic men of the course.

Greek theatre is honestly kinda boring. You study Oedipus Rex, the Bacchae and the Frogs - all of which piggyback nicely into Athenian democracy, but overall the essays you get on them are a little uninspired. Like don’t get me wrong, I love a little tragedy/comedy analysis but I felt it got a little stale after being able to get so invested in the Iliad/Aeneid characters.
Oh god also the Pots - we look at Greek pottery in the theatre section. As an Archaeology person you could probably get behind them but I find material sources so Boring. Just looking at 15 or so pictures of amphoras and theatres 💀 I could not get through those lessons quicker.
Original post by elahelm
I can kind of get behind the Aeneid because I did Foundation of Rome modules in Ancient History GCSE? I just take issue with Virgil’s writing if I’m honest - Aeneas is just. So unengaging to me. All he does is tragically do the bidding of the gods. Poor, sad, dutiful man. His best parts are when he goes a little insane and I love that for him, I just wish there were more you know?
But also I’m partial to my problematic faves Mezentius and Achilles so. I stay winning with the toxic men of the course.

Greek theatre is honestly kinda boring. You study Oedipus Rex, the Bacchae and the Frogs - all of which piggyback nicely into Athenian democracy, but overall the essays you get on them are a little uninspired. Like don’t get me wrong, I love a little tragedy/comedy analysis but I felt it got a little stale after being able to get so invested in the Iliad/Aeneid characters.
Oh god also the Pots - we look at Greek pottery in the theatre section. As an Archaeology person you could probably get behind them but I find material sources so Boring. Just looking at 15 or so pictures of amphoras and theatres 💀 I could not get through those lessons quicker.

i literally despise the aeneid. its so boring and i cannot force myself to revise it because im just not interested in it in any way. iliad is my fav and i love the odyssey bc achilles and odysseus are just fun to read about. aeneas is so stale.
also the greek theatre exam is next week and i literally havent done any revision - i find it so hard to like reference specific points in each of the plays, especially frogs, because its so long. I HAVE NO IDEA HOW IM GONNA LEARN ALL THE FACTS ABOUT THE POTS im stressing sm about it lmfao.
So how was everyone on that paper

Quick Reply

Latest