The Student Room Group

Virgin/O2 Technology Placement - Virtual Assessment and embarrassing question

Hi everyone, hope this is the correct place to post this.

I'm an applicant for the Virgin Media/O2 Technology placement (year-long) and am attending my Virtual Assessment Centre this week.

I had my preliminary coaching call a few days ago, and I think I remember them telling me that for the individual exercise, I would have to create a presentation on the day. However, after hearing from friends on other placements who had to prepare presentations in advance in their own time, I'm now panicking and wondering if I misunderstood the question.

Is anyone else doing (or has done) this assessment, and if so can you confirm whether I'm right or wrong?

I'm super embarrassed to have to ask this - I was even making notes while on the call!
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 1
Hi I have a virtual assesment coming for virgin media do you have any tips or what can I expect on the day?
Original post by anumayub
Hi I have a virtual assesment coming for virgin media do you have any tips or what can I expect on the day?

Mine was a few months back and I was rejected unfortunately.

Anyway, it included:
- Interview: With myself and 1 or 2 interviewers (usually one from HR and one from a more technical background). They didn't give me any technical questions or challenges, just asked questions about my experience as well as a few SJT-type questions.
- Group presentation: I was placed into a group and asked to propose a product VMO2 could/should introduce. We were given a few "inspiration" slides on topics we could base the product on and problems we could look to solve. This was intended to be very "unplanned" - no scripts or slides.
- Individual presentation: Very similar to the above, but individual. Once again, I was given slides with background information and asked to propose a product or service. I think making a PowerPoint was an option, but I didn't bother with that and instead invested the time in writing a proper script.

No preparation was necessary for the presentation tasks before the day - it was more than doable in the time they provided.

These will be in any order, as the applicants are placed into groups which are rotated throughout the day. The activities may be different for you, however - have you had a coaching call yet?

Anyway, good luck!
Reply 3
Original post by personthatexists
Mine was a few months back and I was rejected unfortunately.

Anyway, it included:
- Interview: With myself and 1 or 2 interviewers (usually one from HR and one from a more technical background). They didn't give me any technical questions or challenges, just asked questions about my experience as well as a few SJT-type questions.
- Group presentation: I was placed into a group and asked to propose a product VMO2 could/should introduce. We were given a few "inspiration" slides on topics we could base the product on and problems we could look to solve. This was intended to be very "unplanned" - no scripts or slides.
- Individual presentation: Very similar to the above, but individual. Once again, I was given slides with background information and asked to propose a product or service. I think making a PowerPoint was an option, but I didn't bother with that and instead invested the time in writing a proper script.

No preparation was necessary for the presentation tasks before the day - it was more than doable in the time they provided.

These will be in any order, as the applicants are placed into groups which are rotated throughout the day. The activities may be different for you, however - have you had a coaching call yet?

Anyway, good luck!
Thanks for the detailed overview of the process. Do you remember how long they take to get back to you after the first online assessment, and also what was the next stage? Was it a video interview or a telephone interview?
Reply 4
Original post by mm10391
Thanks for the detailed overview of the process. Do you remember how long they take to get back to you after the first online assessment, and also what was the next stage? Was it a video interview or a telephone interview?

I recently had a virtual assessment with VMO2 and unfortunately got rejected.

personthatexist is bang on about the exercises, however my group project was to introduce a new technology (4g or fibre optic) for an urban or rural area. Amongst my group member were given no extra information regarding the benefits, costs etc of each project- we had to use datapoints to unlock pdfs that had that information for us to provide context to each project for the rural and urban areas.

We had to spend 90 points in total and each info pack (they called it data packs) costed around 30-45 depending on how verbose or detailed the pdf was. Once our time elapsed we had 5 minutes to justify our choices.

The individual presentation was similar but minus the data packs features. I had like 60 mins to look at some slides and come up with ways we can enforce one of the 5 business principles VMO2 has like environmental and waste management etc. that was tough.

Then interview for me lasted 40 minutes of basic strength based and Situational judgement questions.(that was okay, I guess)

The whole thing is branched off in sections in your top score account (similar to how you accessed your coaching session) you get plenty of rest breaks and a Q&A session just before your final interview stage. It’s all virtual and done on your PC. Good luck.
(edited 3 days ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending