The Student Room Group

After I get my LLB what do I do?

So Im going to study law with business LLB at the UWE and Im curious about what are the steps after my degree? I know I have to get a SQE but if I do a LLM does it count towards my QWE or not? Also what is a LPC?
Hi there,

If you have decided that you want to be a Solicitor then SQE is the next route, however you will need at least 2 years qualifying work experience and, sadly, completing an LLM does not count towards your qualifying work experience.

LPC is the Legal Practise Course you originally had to take to become a solicitor however this route has been transitioned to the SQE route. I believe if you are a student who started university in September 2021 or before this year, you are permitted to complete the LPC route. Nevertheless the LPC will be completely transitioned to SQE by 2032.
Again you don't need to worry about the LPC since there are a limited number of courses available, in comparison to the SQE.

I hope this helps.

Best wishes,

Narusha
Coventry University Student Ambassador
Yes, as said above as you are not at university yet the LPC is not a choice for you, just SQE as the system has completely changed for SQE for those not yet at university.
If you want to be a solicitor DURING your degree you apply for vacation schemes and training contracts (not after, ideally). Law firms set out their time lines for years ahead on their websites. You apply then, hopefully get one ( a TC / QWE) before you graduate and then the firm would pay for your SQE year of courses and exams. Then you work for them paid for 2 years as a trainee.
There are other ways to do it than that. If you don't manage to get a TC during your degree you can get a masters student loan to do a masters with SQE - the masters bit is just to get student finance post grad funding of about £12k but that only covers some of the costs so that is not ideal compared to law firm sponsorship.
(edited 3 months ago)
Reply 3
Original post by 17Student17
Yes, as said above as you are not at university yet the LPC is not a choice for you, just SQE as the system has completely changed for SQE for those not yet at university.
If you want to be a solicitor DURING your degree you apply for vacation schemes and training contracts (not after, ideally). Law firms set out their time lines for years ahead on their websites. You apply then, hopefully get one ( a TC / QWE) before you graduate and then the firm would pay for your SQE year of courses and exams. Then you work for them paid for 2 years as a trainee.
There are other ways to do it than that. If you don't manage to get a TC during your degree you can get a masters student loan to do a masters with SQE - the masters bit is just to get student finance post grad funding of about £12k but that only covers some of the costs so that is not idea compared to law firm sponsorship.

So wait to get a masters is different then a TC? or am I supposed to do both?
Original post by Samij123
So wait to get a masters is different then a TC? or am I supposed to do both?

Yes, to be a solicitor you do not need a masters degree and it does not help to have one. However after a 3 year LLB you DO have to do a year of further post graduate study (which is NOT) a master learning for the professional exams - SQE. This has always been the case even back in the 1970s and 80s. It used to be called the Part 2 course, then the Finals, then the LPC and now the SQE but it is the same system - one year post grad (not a masters) and then 2 years working whilst being paid in a law firm - which is the training contract.

So yes you are required to do both - the SQE courses and exams post grad year (not a masters unless you need to do the masters version to get post grad student loan funding for it) and then the 2 years paid work in a law firm (usually in 4 different areas of law moving every 6 months so you have varied experience). So Age 8 start law degree. Age 21 graduate. Age 22 finish SQE course/exam post grad year. Age 22 - 24 two years as trainee solicitor. Qualify aged 24. In other words if you do an LLB it is 4 years of study and then 2 years as a trainee working with a salary and then qualified. 6 years in total. For those without a law degree it is usually 2 years post grad, so 7 years in total before qualifying. (There are other more complex possibilities too such as leaving school at 18 and doing a solicitor apprenticeship and also for graduate solicitor apprenticeships)

There is quite a useful graphic on this link of a law firm at the bottom for once your LLB (first degree) is over for the bigger London City Consortium firms. During the training at those firms (those 2 years of a TC) you are paid and the wages are usually given on law firm websites.
https://www.slaughterandmay.com/media/1urbrfzb/city-consortium-solicitor-training-programme.pdf

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending