The Student Room Group

Environmental Sciences - Sustainable

Hello, American Student here - any recommendations for undergrad environmental science/natural science in the UK - being useful to specialize in renewable energy later? I hope to go to the UK for my undergrad and come back to the US to do a masters.

***Specifically I mean undergrad universities
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Parzi145
Hello, American Student here - any recommendations for undergrad environmental science/natural science in the UK - being useful to specialize in renewable energy later? I hope to go to the UK for my undergrad and come back to the US to do a masters.

Hi!

I have just graduated from Lancaster University with a Natural Sciences BSc so thought I could give my experience with the degree.

Natural Sciences degrees tend to vary by university, so it's definitely worth having a look around to see what course is right for you. At Lancaster, the degree is very flexible, you can choose 3 pathways out of a possible 21. The subjects range from environmental science, biology, earth sciences, maths, engineering, and more, so there are many different possible combinations, many of which would cover renewable energies! The complete list of different pathways is in the brochure which can be found here - https://www.lancaster.ac.uk/natural-sciences/ .

I have loved the degree, and have started studying a Mechanical Engineering Masters since that ended up being my favourite subject of my Natural Sciences undergraduate. I'm also really interested in renewables/alternative energy and should hopefully be starting on a graduate scheme in nuclear fusion after my Master's!

I absolutely loved the degree and if you have any further questions, just let me know!

-Bethan (Lancaster University Natural Sciences Ambassador)
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Parzi145

Hey!

I’m Oliver and am currently a third year in natural sciences studying synthetic chemistry and
biochemistry also at Lancaster.

I would absolutely echo everything Bethan has said and would definitely recommend natural sciences as a great flexible degree option.

I would also say that one of the best things about natural sciences is the vast range of experiences you get and people you meet. Since you study alongside the single honours students across multiple departments, you
get to see so many more faces and there is never a lonely lecture. It’s also great to see how all the
different sciences interlink and you can often apply something you learnt in one subject to one of
your other pathways which is fascinating!

The department itself is really friendly and has such a welcoming atmosphere. Like you could knock on any lecturers door and they’d be happy to help you with anything.

Hope that is helpful and best of luck with your decision :smile: Feel free to ask me any other questions if you have any.

Oliver (Student Ambassador)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending