The Student Room Group

Do university ranks affect employability?

I’ve applied to Royal Holloway, Bath spa, UWE, Kingston and Uni of Sussex. I’m planning on firming either bath spa uwe as they are really good for my course. Does it matter that they aren’t as highly ranked as some of the better universities such as uni of bath or uni of bristol? I’m worried the lower ranks will affect my employability even though I prefer the course at these two. I haven’t firmed any yet, would it be worth re choosing my firm or do the ranks of universities not truly matter? I’m studying Geography or Geography and Sustainability depending on the university I firm.
Hi @greentiger,

Geography at Kingston is such a great experience. The students in this course get to combine what they have learned in class with real life application through the numerous trips abroad with the geography programme. Having this combination will make raise employability and your opportunities.

At Kingston we have a large and helpful employment and careers team that you can use for help with CV's, applications and searching for jobs. They will be able to support you through anything and make you very employable!

Have you visited Kingston for an open day? This would be really worth while and can help you make your decision when talking to lecturers, geography students and seeing the campus and town.

I hope this helped!

-Yasmin (Kingston Rep)
Original post by greentiger
I’ve applied to Royal Holloway, Bath spa, UWE, Kingston and Uni of Sussex. I’m planning on firming either bath spa uwe as they are really good for my course. Does it matter that they aren’t as highly ranked as some of the better universities such as uni of bath or uni of bristol? I’m worried the lower ranks will affect my employability even though I prefer the course at these two. I haven’t firmed any yet, would it be worth re choosing my firm or do the ranks of universities not truly matter? I’m studying Geography or Geography and Sustainability depending on the university I firm.
Hi there,

We're delighted that you're interested in studying at Royal Holloway!

You can find out more about our Geography course here:https://royalholloway.ac.uk/studying-here/undergraduate/geography/geography-bsc/ including the entry requirements and course content.

The Department of Geography at Royal Holloway, University of London is ranked among the top UK Geography departments for employability. Our graduates are in demand in a range of sectors, from environmental conservation to NGOs, media relations and the Civil Service. Our dynamic research culture also means you'll be in a great position to progress to further postgraduate study. Excellent industry links provide students with opportunities for graduate placements and work experience, helping you take the first steps in your future career. Recent alumni have progressed to careers in wildlife conservation, coastal management and the media, among other fields!

Visit our campus and get a real feel for student life at one of our Open Days. You can find out more information on this page: https://www.royalholloway.ac.uk/student-life/visit-royal-holloway/open-days/

Get answers to the questions that matter to you by chatting with our students and staff! You can chat to a current student to find out what life is really like at Royal Holloway: www.royalholloway.ac.uk/chat and sign up for more information about us here: https://royalholloway.ac.uk/studying-here/sign-up-for-more-information/

I hope you find the above useful!

Best wishes,
Royal Holloway, University of London Rep
It really doesn't. You need to pick courses you like the look of above and beyond any rankings.
Go anywhere you like.
Hey there 😀

In today's job market, employers place greater emphasis on factors such as personality, knowledge, and skills rather than solely focusing on the university from which you graduated. The initial step in acquiring knowledge is selecting a university renowned for delivering quality education in your chosen field. To further enhance your employability during your university journey, I would advise you to explore the extracurricular and professional opportunities available. Consider factors such as the presence of a dedicated Careers Support team, the option for a placement year, regular career fairs, and internship programmes.

That is exactly what significantly boosted my employability during my time at university. Through consultations and workshops with the Careers Team, I refined my CV, mastered the art of crafting standout cover letters, and honed my interview skills. Subsequently, I actively pursued and secured numerous opportunities. Currently, in my second year, I have already completed two internships in Psychology, embarked on a student exchange program in Spain, and am set to commence another internship this summer. While it demands dedication and time, I believe this process ultimately proves invaluable when transitioning into the professional sphere post-graduation.

I hope it was helpful 💪 Feel free to reach out if you have any questions 😉 You can also chat with me or other students directly through The Ambassador Platform.

Best of luck,

Julia
Psychology student
De Montfort University
Hi @greentiger ,
Personally, i'd say that there are more important factors that might affect your employability after your degree than university rankings. Its much more important to look for a university with a good careers service that will help you search for graduate jobs and help with assessment center prep. Also, pick the course with modules you enjoy the most, as these may lead to a job in a certain industry.
Hope this helps!
-Jasmine (Lancaster Student Ambassador)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending