The Student Room Group

No idea where to take my life after University

Anytime anyone asks 'What are you doing after uni?' I just skirt around the question 'Oh a Masters... or a job, I'll figure it out.'

I'm at the beginning of my 2nd year and I feel this stress of having no idea what I want to do.

I am doing Biology and I do enjoy all parts of it - I like the environment, sustainability, and on the flip side, I like learning about disease and vaccines and viruses. They feel like two ends of the spectrum! I think microbiology is much more realistic for me, but I have no ideas what jobs to do within that field.

Whenever I take those quizzes or look for ideas, everything feels so out of field.

I'm also considering doing a Masters, but what in?!

Any ideas from anyone who has done Biology and figured it out after would be really helpful. Thank you. :smile:
Well, environmental microbiology is certainly a field - bacterial mats in the ocean and so on I gather. Perhaps something in the marine biology regime?

Otherwise plant sciences involves a fair bit of microbiological topics I gather and is obviously environment and sustainability focused. Also learning about plant diseases etc!
Reply 2
Original post by artful_lounger
Well, environmental microbiology is certainly a field - bacterial mats in the ocean and so on I gather. Perhaps something in the marine biology regime?

Otherwise plant sciences involves a fair bit of microbiological topics I gather and is obviously environment and sustainability focused. Also learning about plant diseases etc!

Thanks for the ideas! I have a module for environmental microbiology next year so I am excited to see if it's as good as I hope. As for plant related topics, I find plants to be a little boring. I'm taking the module now and it's not really as enticing as I thought, so I don't think it's a good thing to pursue. Thank you though!! I'm starting to wonder if possibly environments and sustainability topics are more of a side interest than anything.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending