The Student Room Group

possible careers

what career can i venture into with these subjects Maths,Physics and Geography
Reply 1
Original post by Carlton Zulu

Literally anything from astrophysics, to law, to teaching, to journalism. The only careers that you you probably can’t do are things that need chem and bio, like medicine, chemical engineering, bio research etc. Most people end up in careers that are not related to their degrees. A-level/btec subjects are even less relavent to careers.
Note that you could still go into bioscience degrees with those A-levels via a foundation year, and quite a few chemical engineering courses just require A-level Maths and either chemistry OR physics. But as noted above most do things unrelated to their carers and you have plenty of options in terms of engineering, physical sciences, earth and environmental sciences, and anything else that doesn't require any specific A-level subjects.
Original post by Carlton Zulu

Hi!

At A-levels I felt super stuck with what to do in regards to careers (and whether to go to uni/what to study) because I had a range of interests and picked a broad set of A-level subjects - I studies Art, Geography, and Physics (and the EPQ in yr 13). And although others found this strange, I really enjoyed this variety and it was a positive experience and choice.

I searched for courses or ideas of careers in regards to my A-level choices and interests, but still struggled to find something that felt right. I couldn't narrow my interests down enough to settle on any of the apparent options because I didn't want to stop doing any of these subjects and couldn't find something that encompassed all of them.

Eventually, I found out about the course I am on now at the London Interdisciplinary School, doing a university degree centred around problem solving, focussing on integrating subjects.
Whilst on this degree I have met fascinating people, working in all sorts of industries, at the 'LIS Lates' events held on campus (you can find out about them, and how to attend, here - https://www.lis.ac.uk/events/), spoken with the faculty, as well as having regular meetings with our careers advisor to talk through ideas and options.
These people that I have heard from have often had atypical, diverse career journey's which show just how many potential options are out there and the different forms a career path can take - we even had some people come in to talk about their interdisciplinary career trajectories to demonstrate you don't have to stick to one job, or even subject area, for your whole career!

Through these experiences, class, and my internship, I have been able to learn about different subject areas which have helped me clarify what it is I do and equally importantly, do not want to do for a career/job. I have learnt the value of trying things; having experiences even if they are new to you and not something you previously considered, or even if they end up being the less relevant in the end - you learn from the experience; whether something you end up liking, directing your interests, or maybe you discover something suitable that you didn't know existed before.

I have also certainly found it helpful speaking to our careers advisor at uni, as well as other people with experience in the industries I am interested in/or similar ones, and friends/family. By explaining my interests to other people, this process has helped me understand what it is I am passionate about and interested in as a job/initial career direction, rather than that I would prefer to keep as a hobby/out of curiosity.

Hope this helps :smile:
Original post by JasmineBowley
Hi!

At A-levels I felt super stuck with what to do in regards to careers (and whether to go to uni/what to study) because I had a range of interests and picked a broad set of A-level subjects - I studies Art, Geography, and Physics (and the EPQ in yr 13). And although others found this strange, I really enjoyed this variety and it was a positive experience and choice.

I searched for courses or ideas of careers in regards to my A-level choices and interests, but still struggled to find something that felt right. I couldn't narrow my interests down enough to settle on any of the apparent options because I didn't want to stop doing any of these subjects and couldn't find something that encompassed all of them.

Eventually, I found out about the course I am on now at the London Interdisciplinary School, doing a university degree centred around problem solving, focussing on integrating subjects.
Whilst on this degree I have met fascinating people, working in all sorts of industries, at the 'LIS Lates' events held on campus (you can find out about them, and how to attend, here - https://www.lis.ac.uk/events/), spoken with the faculty, as well as having regular meetings with our careers advisor to talk through ideas and options.
These people that I have heard from have often had atypical, diverse career journey's which show just how many potential options are out there and the different forms a career path can take - we even had some people come in to talk about their interdisciplinary career trajectories to demonstrate you don't have to stick to one job, or even subject area, for your whole career!

Through these experiences, class, and my internship, I have been able to learn about different subject areas which have helped me clarify what it is I do and equally importantly, do not want to do for a career/job. I have learnt the value of trying things; having experiences even if they are new to you and not something you previously considered, or even if they end up being the less relevant in the end - you learn from the experience; whether something you end up liking, directing your interests, or maybe you discover something suitable that you didn't know existed before.

I have also certainly found it helpful speaking to our careers advisor at uni, as well as other people with experience in the industries I am interested in/or similar ones, and friends/family. By explaining my interests to other people, this process has helped me understand what it is I am passionate about and interested in as a job/initial career direction, rather than that I would prefer to keep as a hobby/out of curiosity.

Hope this helps

Hi,
I am in year 12 at the moment and I would be really interested in an event like this as I am also stuck on what career I wanna do in the future. What event did you go to and do you need to be in uni to go to the event?

Quick Reply

Latest