The Student Room Group

Tutoring PAT tips?

Hi I’m a Y13 that sat the Oxford Physics Aptitude Test and got >95. I’d like to tutor PAT and make some money. I’ve never tutored people before but my peers have said that I’m good at explaining maths and physics, and I have learned some methods specific for preparing for the PAT. Any tips for beginning?
You could have a look on tutoring websites and advertise your services on there
Original post by PAT_22
Hi I’m a Y13 that sat the Oxford Physics Aptitude Test and got >95. I’d like to tutor PAT and make some money. I’ve never tutored people before but my peers have said that I’m good at explaining maths and physics, and I have learned some methods specific for preparing for the PAT. Any tips for beginning?

Tutor websites, advertise services on there.

Don't set your rate too high, or too low (so you make enough money).

Revise the PAT to ensure you have a strong foundation. You could start teaching friends/siblings to get an idea of how good you are. They can advise you your rate, along with teachers (can also help in seeing weak areas)
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 3
What if I cannot find anyone around my area that is interested in doing the PAT? :,)
Try doing online lessons! They're far easier to do aswell as you don't have to travel to someones house or vice versa
Original post by PAT_22
What if I cannot find anyone around my area that is interested in doing the PAT? :,)
Original post by PAT_22

I doubt ther will be interest in this. Schools will offer support and it's a very niche market.
Reply 6
Original post by marie277
Try doing online lessons! They're far easier to do aswell as you don't have to travel to someones house or vice versa

I'll do! Thank youuu
Reply 7
Original post by Muttley79
I doubt ther will be interest in this. Schools will offer support and it's a very niche market.

Thanks for stating the views of a lazy critic. The Oxbridge market is pretty lucrative, especially in East Asia. ~1000 students apply for physics alone at Oxford, and probably tens of multiples of that applied or seriously considered a course that requires the PAT. And I wonder which place you live in where you think the UK has sufficient physics teachers that have enough training to help with students with something as challenging as the PAT.
Original post by PAT_22
Thanks

What an unprofessional response! Asian parents won't want a student tutoring their child and there are plenty of qualified Physics teachers in good state schools in England. In fact as a Maths teacher I've also supported PAT students; the Physics is not beyond my knowledge.

I suggest you get to university first.
Reply 9
Original post by Muttley79
What an unprofessional response! Asian parents won't want a student tutoring their child and there are plenty of qualified Physics teachers in good state schools in England. In fact as a Maths teacher I've also supported PAT students; the Physics is not beyond my knowledge.

I suggest you get to university first.

I apologise for the unprofessional response; I have taken your comment to be patronising, on both my physics ability and ambitions, thus the inappropriate unprofessional response [bad anger management on my part]. Luckily for me, I've found a few Singaporean friends that invited me to teach some content that appears in the PAT to a few students in China! Do you mind sharing your methods as to helping students with the PAT? It would be interesting to see how others do it. Thank you

Quick Reply

Latest