The Student Room Group

Dissertation issues - consequences of not submitting it?

I don’t want to submit my dissertation. Is it possible to not submit it. Get a fail and then do the resubmission?
Pretty much everyone I know that either did not submit a dissertation or failed the dissertation was given an ordinary (non-honours/non-classed) degree.

So I very much doubt that will be the case. If in doubt check with your personal tutor what the possibilities would be if you fail your dissertation on your course.
Original post by Anonymous #1
I don’t want to submit my dissertation. Is it possible to not submit it. Get a fail and then do the resubmission?

Hey!
I feel that you should talk about this to your PAT (Personal Academic Tutor), as the answer to your question is very subjective and highly depends on your university policies. There is a chance that the university would allow you to resubmit, and parallelly there is a chance that they would ask you to repeat a year, submit your fees again, and then submit your dissertation. The best guidance can be given to you by your PAT, as they can truly support you after listening to your concerns regarding not submitting your dissertation, and provide you the best possible solution.

Best Wishes
Priya :smile:
Postgraduate Ambassador
University of Southampton

Hi Anon!

I highly recommend talking to your personal academic tutor about this. I know it will be daunting to do so, as you’ve probably experienced enough stress surrounding your dissertation, but they’ll be in the best position to offer guidance based on re-submission policies etc., and perhaps even offer feedback on work you have completed. They are there to help you, so speak honestly with them and see what they have to say.

Best of luck! 🙂

Estelle
Third Year Psychology
University of Huddersfield
Original post by Anonymous

:console:
Can I ask which subject? I would probably contact your academic tutor ASAP.
Do you like your topic of your dissertation, or finding it hard in a particular area, which perhaps might make you feel like you don't want to submit?

I'm writing mine atm, and it definitely feels daunting especially the word count :eek4: :frown: it doesn't help I had tonsilitis over Christmas so I'm a bit behind, especially after talking to a few people on my course.
(edited 3 months ago)
Reply 5
Dissertations tend to be more stringent re resubmission criteria, i.e. you'd usually need serious mitigation for it to even be considered. I have only ever seen a retake allowed once (because of seriously heavy MitCircs), every other time in my departments it has resulted in an Ordinary Degree, and an Ordinary Degree isn't worth the paper it is printed on.

Why don't you want to submit it? Do you have any serious mitigation? You really need to speak to somebody at your institution for tailored advice, and quickly.
Reply 6

Unless you have extenuating circumstances, it is better to submit a poor dissertation than no dissertation at all. What is your reason for not wanting to submit?
Reply 7
I am retake my disso as i forgot to submit to my second marker...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending