The Student Room Group

Passing second year/ is uni worth it

I'm in my second year studying biology and I've 2 assignements left before new years, one of which I'm already late to submitting and have barely done and the other not started. I'm really stressing I have no motivation for anything and it all feels overwhelming, I don't know what to do and if i'll get in trouble if I don't submit anything because at this point I feel paralysed anytime I try to do work. I'm embarassed to tell my tutors this because I was already getting help last year and barely passed. What can I even do at this point ?
Original post by blonde666
What can I even do at this point ?

Speak to your personal tutor - they are there to support you, but they can't do that if they don't know there is an issue. They will be able to discuss your options with you and you can see where to go from there.

Also I'd recommend speaking with your GP about feeling overwhelmed and having no motivation, as there may be things they can do to help.

Remember also that final year is usually weighted much more than second year in your overall degree classification - so if there are underlying issues and you can address these you may well be able to pull out with a decent outcome in the end. But if you don't reach out for the support that is available then that's less likely!
(edited 4 months ago)
I'm in my second year studying biology and I've 2 assignements left before new years, one of which I'm already late to submitting and have barely done and the other not started. I'm really stressing I have no motivation for anything and it all feels overwhelming, I don't know what to do and if i'll get in trouble if I don't submit anything because at this point I feel paralysed anytime I try to do work. I'm embarassed to tell my tutors this because I was already getting help last year and barely passed. What can I even do at this point ?

Hi there

I am sorry to hear you are feeling burnt out from your essays. Although University can be quite overwhelming at some times. I think it is important to remind yourself why you chose the course and where you want to be in the future.

It is great that you managed to pass the last year, and you should not be embarassed to ask for help from your tutor. Tutors are there to help you with your work and get you through your University studies, so do go to them for advice if you need it.

Trying to set a timetable for yourself may be helpful. It is a good idea to plan when you will complete each stage of your essay- research, structure, and drafting etc.

I hope this helps.
Chloe
University of Kent Student Rep

Hi @blonde666,

I'm sorry to hear that you're struggling with this.

I'd strongly recommend that you speak to your PAT, tutors, and other well-being staff at your university. They can help with your current assignments and they can discuss your options with you. As it has been said, I'd also recommend speaking to your GP about how you are feeling.

I definitely relate to feeling paralyzed with assignments sometimes. I try to remember that starting is always the worst part, and I try to make this as easy as possible. Keeping a planner and calendar for deadlines, study times, and breaks has helped. Breaking the assignment down and giving yourself as long as possible to complete them may help to overcome this too.

University can be hard, but you'd need to decide whether it would be worth continuing if you aren't enjoying it/struggling to be motivated. Are you enjoying biology? What is it that you want to do with your degree, and is there another route you can take that you might enjoy more? These are all things you can discuss with your PAT, so do get in contact with them.

I hope this helps,

Isabella
Third-year Geography with a Year Abroad Student

Hey!

I’m so sorry to hear you’re feeling like this. Honestly I was in a similar situation at the start of my third year and only submitted my work about a week ago. At the start of the term I completely overwhelmed myself and the more I worried the harder it felt to start or get back on track. I also didn’t initially reach out for help due to embarrassment and because I’d almost completely convinced myself I couldn’t do it and should just drop out!

Eventually I spoke to someone close to me, who I feel always gives good advice. This was the first hurdle…he persuaded me to reach out to my tutor, which I did there and then. I explained exactly how I was feeling to my tutor. My tutor for back to me very quickly, offering a teams meeting to help me.

Meeting my tutor made all the difference. It helped calm a lot of the anxiety and self-doubt I was having. I had a list of questions prepared before the meeting which helped to ease the biggest concerns. He gave me advice and I felt it was easier to move forward.

Reach out to your tutor, do not let this consume you. We all learn differently and some of us need more support than others and there is absolutely no shame in that!

I would also suggest you reach out to your university wellbeing team for support. Please don’t suffer in silence, in my experience the wellbeing teams are so so helpful in giving advice and supporting in your struggles.

Speak to your friends and family too, it’s so important to have some support.

I really hope this helps and I hope that you get the support you need! You absolutely can succeed, you just need to be a little easier on yourself and find the support the works best for you 🙂

Good luck!

Sophie (ARU)

Hi there!

I’m really sorry to hear that you are struggling. It is great that you have already reached out for academic help, that is never something you should be ashamed to do! And if you need extra support then your tutors should be more than happy to help you, as that is what they are there for; to help and support you in whatever way they can.

A tip I have on the work being overwhelming is making a list of tasks/work you need to do, and breaking it up into really small (and I mean really small!), achievable chunks. That way it’s not all rattling around in your brain and you don’t need to worry about remembering all these big huge tasks because they’re already written down, and they’re written down in a much more realistically achievable way. There is a website called notion, which is extremely helpful in giving you different template examples (for free) of all kinds of to-do lists, whether that’s for your studies, work and general lifestyle too. I will link below.

https://www.notion.so/product

However if you’re thinking that the workload is just too much then that’s also ok too. University is a different experience for all and doesn’t have to be for everyone too. You shouldn’t force yourself to do something that you’re ultimately really not enjoying and not getting the most of out of - It’s nothing to be ashamed or embarrassed of if you decide to drop out.

Whatever decision you make give yourself a good amount of time to think about it, chat to people whose opinion you really trust and value. Write out a pros and cons list if that helps. Best of luck with whatever you do, hope some of this has helped :smile:

Best wishes,
Rose Warburton (she/her)
Actor-Musician, 3rd year

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending