The Student Room Group

University tips on assignments

Hiya!

I am a first year in university in the UK and for my first term i have STRUGGLED to be motivated to go library, to catch up on assignments, to take proper notes, to do pre-work before a lesson. I feel the reason i am unmotivated is because i don’t know how to do it - it feels very overwhelming. My question is, does anyone have any advice for the new year to help me to find doing my assignments easier, to help take notes so that i can start to understand my lectures. I really struggle lectures - i find it hard to understand what they are saying - especially in social contemporary problems, so if anyone else studies that please don’t feel shy to leave some advice on that too!

Thank you :smile:
Reply 1
It seems an obvious point to make, but procastinating on starting assessments because you don't know where to start is only making things worse, so it's best to do even small things to get the assessment off the ground.

Regarding managing your assessments, some tips include:

unpack the assessment brief, check for anything that MUST be done, look at the assessment criteria to see how it is being marked to make sure you are covering everything, look at the weightings to see what carries the most value - you can honestly learn a LOT from taking the time to do this - speaking as a tutor, it always amazes me how often students have not read the assessment brief thoroughly enough and make elementary mistakes, thus losing marks

create a standard structure into which you can drop things - with a humanities essay, that will usually mean an intro and a conclusion plus 3 or 4 main body sections in between

go back to your lecture notes / seminar notes / assessment guides to look for any tips and clues from the tutor about how to do the assessment

make sure you use the recommended module reading - avoid "essay by google" where you take random stuff from the web

(edited 3 months ago)
Original post by IAmGroot1312
Hiya!

I am a first year in university in the UK and for my first term i have STRUGGLED to be motivated to go library, to catch up on assignments, to take proper notes, to do pre-work before a lesson. I feel the reason i am unmotivated is because i don’t know how to do it - it feels very overwhelming. My question is, does anyone have any advice for the new year to help me to find doing my assignments easier, to help take notes so that i can start to understand my lectures. I really struggle lectures - i find it hard to understand what they are saying - especially in social contemporary problems, so if anyone else studies that please don’t feel shy to leave some advice on that too!

Hi @IAmGroot1312,

I'm sorry to hear you are struggling with this!

The first point made by @cheadle is a great one - make sure you understand exactly what is being asked of you in the assignment. I often start with a blank document and make notes directly from the brief, which then becomes my plan that I can add more detail to later.

In terms of taking notes - what method do you currently use? Do you think switching to handwritten/digital notes would be better? Some note-taking methods are better suited for different subjects and content, so don't be afraid to test some things out. It may take some time to find what works best for you, but just remember that you are still in your first year!

It seems like a good routine would work well for you. Again, this takes time to establish and may change depending on what needs more attention at that time. Do you keep a calendar, schedule, or planner? I personally find that keeping a planner helps me to keep track of important assignment dates, classes, and extracurriculars, which then helps me to better schedule in time to study and do pre-work.

Lastly, don't be afraid to ask for help. This can be from friends, family, your PAT and other subject-specific staff, or the well-being services at your university. They are there to help you succeed, but can only help you if you let them know you are struggling!

Best of luck,

Isabella
Third-year Geography with Year Abroad Student
Hiya!

In terms of motivation for working on assignments I find usually the things that help me most are:

a) just agree with myself to work on a specific part of it for a very short time - even just 5-10 minutes. Often just getting started is the hardest part for me as it all feels like too much to even get started with and I don't know where to start. By giving myself a specific starting point and ending point it's a lot easier to do something rather than nothing.

b) splitting it up by working on it for X amount of time then spending Y amount of time doing something else that I enjoy doing - browsing the internet, playing a game, chatting with friends, whatever. This way I can manage to continue working on it at a relatively fixed rate while minimising the chance of being distracted - because I know after the period of time I'm working on it now, I can spend however long goofing off anyway! It also breaks it down into chunks like the first approach so it feels less overwhelming.

In both cases often I find once I get started I carry on through and ignore the almost fictitious limits I imposed on the activity to convince myself to get started. But it still helps in getting started, and also if I get to an assignment/topic/part where it's really a bit of a grind, they help me keep working through that.
Reply 4
Hiya!

Hello there! It's common to feel overwhelmed in your first year, but there are strategies to make academic tasks more manageable:

1. **Break Tasks into Smaller Steps:** Instead of tackling a whole assignment at once, break it down into smaller, more achievable tasks. This can make the workload feel less daunting.

2. **Create a Schedule:** Develop a realistic study schedule that includes dedicated time for assignments, pre-reading, and note-taking. Stick to it as much as possible to establish a routine.

3. **Prioritize Tasks:** Identify high-priority tasks and focus on them first. This ensures that essential assignments are completed on time.

4. **Note-Taking Techniques:** Experiment with different note-taking methods, such as the Cornell Method or mind mapping, to find what works best for you. This can enhance understanding during lectures.

5. **Active Listening:** During lectures, engage actively by asking questions or participating in discussions. This can help you grasp the material better.

6. **Seek Help:** Don't hesitate to ask for clarification from professors or classmates. University resources like study groups or academic support services can also provide valuable assistance.

7. **Connect with Peers:** Form study groups with classmates. Discussing topics with peers can offer different perspectives and help reinforce your understanding.

8. **Reflect on Learning Styles:** Identify your preferred learning style—visual, auditory, kinesthetic—and tailor your study approach accordingly. This can enhance comprehension.

Remember, it's okay to ask for help and take small steps toward improvement. You may consider having a short chat with me on this.
If you’re finding it difficult to understand lectures then there’s a few things that might be worth trying (on top of all the great advice you already have above - although it does look like **one** of the posts above has been generated by AI).
- find a study buddy. Find something on your course and work with them to make good notes. If you’re not sure who to talk to then find the mature and commuter students on your course - they are less likely to have made friends on the course yet and they’re also more likely to have various techniques that work for them.

- use your tutor. Your tutor and lecturers should have office hours where you can either turn up or book an appointment. If you don’t understand content then that’s what you should be using to get extra help. You’re already ahead because you have recognised that you aren’t following the content but the next step is to turn up and do something about it.

- revision lectures. DO NOT SKIP THESE. Your lecturers write the exam questions at university. Revision lectures will cover the specific topics that are likely to be on the exams. It’s incredibly silly to skip these lectures.

- library. Your university library will almost certainly have resources and sessions available to develop your study skills. Talk to the librarians and poke around the library website. Then USE those resources and sessions.
(edited 3 months ago)
Hiya!

Hi @IAmGroot1312,

A tip I wish I had been told earlier on in my undergraduate is to try treating university work and assignments as a job, for example, 9-5 pm or whatever hours are suitable for you around your lectures.

Ensuring you are taking breaks and ‘clocking out’ at a certain time. It honestly surprisingly helped me a lot especially when I was in my third year doing my dissertation!

I felt having a better structure helped me to stay organised and it boosted my productivity.

Try it out to see if having a bit more structure to your week works for you.

Also, if I am ever stuck with something after a lecture I get in contact with the lecturer to ask questions, which I think is the best thing to do, they are happy to help after all you are there to learn and it shows that you are keen to learn.

Best wishes,
Paige UoC Digital Marketing MSc student
(edited 3 months ago)
Hiya!

A lot of it boils down to forcing yourself to do things until it becomes a habit in my experience. No one is really going to tell you to do things anymore - you really just have to keep yourself organised and in check.

I find doing study sessions as pomodoros works wonders for my focus - I can normally do 6 sessions (50 mins work / 10 min breaks) in a full day and 3 or 4 after a work day (I am in full time work w/ part time study) before I am tired. You can play around with your session lengths to see what works for you.

Regarding time keeping - I tend to try and keep ahead of the work (more so incase other life commitments come up) and read on ahead before lectures. It may also help to record your lectures so that you can watch them again if they are not already recorded.

I don't think I know how to take proper notes - but my notes tend to be short bullet points, in my own words which are to the point. I don't like long notes - I mostly skim read my notes to find useful information and for me less is more.
Hello,

My name is Haya and I’m one of the final year medical students at UCLan.

My top tips would be:

1) Get a study buddy as often they can hold you accountable to finishing task and help you enjoy your time

2)Try out spatial repetition 📆: remember the information with increasing intervals of time

3) Active recall: try to change your notes into questions to really understand the material 📑

4)Try out the Pomodoro Method 🍅

I hope these tips help and if you ever feel like you need more advice don’t be afraid to your tutors.

Best of luck,
Haya - MBBS V

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending