The Student Room Group

Oxford, LSE or Imperial for math and stat?

Hi everyone! Currently, I received offers from Oxford to read math and stat at Balliol, Imperial for math with stat for finance, as well as LSE for financial math and stat. :tongue:

As I would like to be an investment banking/finance analyst after graduation, and the three offers I received are all from reputable unis, I am nonetheless struggling on deciding which uni should I attend.

I like to see how maths and statistics can be applied in daily scenarios like finance or business management, but I don't really enjoy pure math. Personally speaking, the combination of finance with some math content is the most ideal. Judging from where my interest lies, I think the Oxford course least suits me, as it involves pure math and it does not place an emphasis on economics / finance-related disciplines. Yet, the experience of living in a medieval-style college with all sorts of traditions is extremely appealing to me, hence I remain hesitant to make this difficult decision of giving up on Oxford. :s-smilie: Regarding LSE vs Imperial, this makes my mind even more conflicted, as both are especially good in quantitative subjects and are located in the London metropolis where ample opportunities await.

In short, which uni should I accept as firm or acceptance, judging from my interests and concerns? Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks :smile:
Original post by Anonymous
Hi everyone! Currently, I received offers from Oxford to read math and stat at Balliol, Imperial for math with stat for finance, as well as LSE for financial math and stat. :tongue:

As I would like to be an investment banking/finance analyst after graduation, and the three offers I received are all from reputable unis, I am nonetheless struggling on deciding which uni should I attend.

I like to see how maths and statistics can be applied in daily scenarios like finance or business management, but I don't really enjoy pure math. Personally speaking, the combination of finance with some math content is the most ideal. Judging from where my interest lies, I think the Oxford course least suits me, as it involves pure math and it does not place an emphasis on economics / finance-related disciplines. Yet, the experience of living in a medieval-style college with all sorts of traditions is extremely appealing to me, hence I remain hesitant to make this difficult decision of giving up on Oxford. :s-smilie: Regarding LSE vs Imperial, this makes my mind even more conflicted, as both are especially good in quantitative subjects and are located in the London metropolis where ample opportunities await.

In short, which uni should I accept as firm or acceptance, judging from my interests and concerns? Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks :smile:

Heya!
LSE is amazing from a financial prospects perspective. If you aren't interested in the pure side of mathematics then oxford may not be suited for you. Imperial is great however LSE is a school which focuses predominantly on finance and economics and has many opportunities throughout your degree to prepare you for a career in economics and finance. For finance/economics, LSE is probably the best within London and the UK and focuses much more on practical economics, however Oxford focuses on theoretical maths and doesn't really have a joint finance degree but has huge international prestige however both are still amazing and have vast job prospects. Ultimately, just go with your gut and it'll turn out alright!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending