The Student Room Group

Which is the best UG course for AI and ML etc

So I have these courses down right now:

Artificial intelligence Bsc at KCL
Computer Science (Artificial intelligence) MComp University of Bath
Artificial Intelligence with computer science Bsc at University of Birmingham
Computer science (Artificial intelligence) MComp at Univeristy of Sheffield
Computer science with AI At RHUL

I've also heard that Data science might also be a good course, for which I've looked at the following:

Data Science Bsc at LSE
Data Science MSci at Uni of Lancaster

Which one of these could be considered the best choice? Thought I obviously have preferences concerning the social life (I'm asian, like a busy night life, like nights out and a modern setting) the academics and graduate prospects are of utmost important to me. What do y'all think?
CS and/or maths. There's a lot of maths involved in those areas.

If you are considering data science at LSE I'm not sure why you aren't considering e.g. JMC at Imperial, CS at Oxbridge, etc. Those courses would probably be better than the LSE one anyway (as they focus a lot on the mathematical aspects of CS regardless).

Whether the degree has the term "artificial intelligence" in the degree name is irrelevant - what matters is the course content. You probably want a fairly mathematical CS degree in general (e.g. Oxbridge, Imperial, Edinburgh, Warwick, Bristol), and to consider a joint honours with a maths department with stats offerings if possible (e.g. Imperial, Oxford, many others).

Warwick data science or discrete maths might also be a consideration, as they have a fair bit of involvement of the CS department I believe? To be fair you can go into the field with just a maths degree (or even a physics or engineering degree) but may as well do the CS stuff in the degree if that's your aim.

That said by the time you graduate that bubble may have burst so you should be planning to do the degree for other reasons as well. "Tech" buzzwords often have limited shelf life. You need to be adaptable and be able to work in whatever is the flavour of the month and not pigeonhole yourself into something that may well be old news by the time you hit the job market.
Reply 2
Original post by artful_lounger
CS and/or maths. There's a lot of maths involved in those areas.

If you are considering data science at LSE I'm not sure why you aren't considering e.g. JMC at Imperial, CS at Oxbridge, etc. Those courses would probably be better than the LSE one anyway (as they focus a lot on the mathematical aspects of CS regardless).

Whether the degree has the term "artificial intelligence" in the degree name is irrelevant - what matters is the course content. You probably want a fairly mathematical CS degree in general (e.g. Oxbridge, Imperial, Edinburgh, Warwick, Bristol), and to consider a joint honours with a maths department with stats offerings if possible (e.g. Imperial, Oxford, many others).

Warwick data science or discrete maths might also be a consideration, as they have a fair bit of involvement of the CS department I believe? To be fair you can go into the field with just a maths degree (or even a physics or engineering degree) but may as well do the CS stuff in the degree if that's your aim.

That said by the time you graduate that bubble may have burst so you should be planning to do the degree for other reasons as well. "Tech" buzzwords often have limited shelf life. You need to be adaptable and be able to work in whatever is the flavour of the month and not pigeonhole yourself into something that may well be old news by the time you hit the job market.

I was actually considering the computational maths degrees earlier but as time went on I realised my grade A in maths was not up to par with the A* those courses wanted. Though I have A*A*A I don't have an A* in maths💀
(edited 6 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending