The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

Regretting course im applying for

I'm starting to regret picking economics to study at uni because I feel my passion and ability lies more in maths now - I even transferred my warwick economics offer to MORSE just to get more maths modules. I see people doing STEM hate on economics and it just demotivates me, making me feel I am doing a useless degree (other than the maths/econometrics/stats modules); I'm getting the feeling that maths is way more respected. Also, a quantitative job in the future really interests me, probably in finance, so I'd like to also go on to do postgraduate study in stats or something mathematical like mathematical finance, and I just feel an economics BSc won't be sufficient.

I'm waiting on a decision from Cambridge Economics and have an offer for LSE economics, and I'm seriously considering firming warwick MORSE even if I get an offer from Cambridge (ik its hypothetical atm). I've also had thoughts of doing a gap year and applying for maths next year but I really want to get out of my house and go to uni tbh.

Sorry for the rant I'm just wondering if anyone has any advice? Do I take a gap year, firm MORSE or do economics etc?

I noticed if I firm LSE and get sufficient grades in first year, I can transfer on to the maths and economics course, so I'm also wondering if that would be a decent course for postgrad stuff in stats/mathematical finance?
Reply 1
bump
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Original post by Anonymous #1
I'm starting to regret picking economics to study at uni because I feel my passion and ability lies more in maths now - I even transferred my warwick economics offer to MORSE just to get more maths modules. I see people doing STEM hate on economics and it just demotivates me, making me feel I am doing a useless degree (other than the maths/econometrics/stats modules); I'm getting the feeling that maths is way more respected. Also, a quantitative job in the future really interests me, probably in finance, so I'd like to also go on to do postgraduate study in stats or something mathematical like mathematical finance, and I just feel an economics BSc won't be sufficient.

I'm waiting on a decision from Cambridge Economics and have an offer for LSE economics, and I'm seriously considering firming warwick MORSE even if I get an offer from Cambridge (ik its hypothetical atm). I've also had thoughts of doing a gap year and applying for maths next year but I really want to get out of my house and go to uni tbh.

Sorry for the rant I'm just wondering if anyone has any advice? Do I take a gap year, firm MORSE or do economics etc?

I noticed if I firm LSE and get sufficient grades in first year, I can transfer on to the maths and economics course, so I'm also wondering if that would be a decent course for postgrad stuff in stats/mathematical finance?

Please don't turn down Cambridge University, if you get an offer next week. It is a quantitative degree and highly respected.

Don't turn down your offer for LSE Economics, since there were 16 other applicants who also competed for your place?! 😧 It is even better than Oxford and Cambridge as it is a the LSE!!! 😀 lol

Transferring to Maths and Economics at LSE is certainly possible, but Maths at degree level is very different to A-Level Maths and A-Level Further Maths.

Which A-Level subjects are you studying? How were your GCSE grades?

Reply 3
Original post by thegeek888

Please don't turn down Cambridge University, if you get an offer next week. It is a quantitative degree and highly respected.

Don't turn down your offer for LSE Economics, since there were 16 other applicants who also competed for your place?! 😧 It is even better than Oxford and Cambridge as it is a the LSE!!! 😀 lol

Transferring to Maths and Economics at LSE is certainly possible, but Maths at degree level is very different to A-Level Maths and A-Level Further Maths.

Which A-Level subjects are you studying? How were your GCSE grades?

maths, fm, physics, economics predicted A*s in each
GCSES are 9999999998
I know maths at uni is more abstract and proof based - it looks good to me
thanks for the advice
Original post by Anonymous #1
maths, fm, physics, economics predicted A*s in each
GCSES are 9999999998
I know maths at uni is more abstract and proof based - it looks good to me
thanks for the advice

Excellent!!! 🙂 With those GCSEs, it is no wonder LSE made you an offer. So you really should be accepting Cambridge University next week. 😉

Cambridge University is awesome and so is LSE. It is arguably a very difficult choice between the two universities. But I would choose Cambridge University, as it has the easier course. LSE is so brutal and demanding in terms of workload for the LSE Economics BSc. ☹️
(edited 3 months ago)
LSE and Cambridge economics are among the most mathematical economics courses in the UK. LSE also allows the option of doing more maths options in 2nd and 3rd year and switching internally to the EME course.

Bear in mind the kind if maths done in a maths degree (including joint honours) is very different to the type of maths you'll have done at A-level and you will do ple ty of mathematical methods (maths in the style of A-level) in those economics degrees (plus probability, stats and econometrics).

What other students (or people in general) may or may not think of your degree is a dumb way to make decisions. In fact "what someone else will think of this choice" is usually not a good rationale for making any life decision.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending