The Student Room Group

Chem equilibria Thiosulfate Q

The apparatus in the figure below was set up to measure the time taken for 20.0 cm of sodium thiosulfate solution to react with 5.0 cm of hydrochloric acid in a 100 cm° conical flask at 20 °C.
The timer was started when the sodium thiosulfate solution was added to the acid in the flask.
The timer was stopped when it was no longer possible to see the cross on the paper.

b) The experiment was repeated at 20 °C using a 250cm3 conical flask - which statement is correct?

A: The time taken would be increased by using larger conical flask??

Surely if conc and vol are kept constant there is no change? I dont understand at all lol.
Hey so my initial thoughts are that because it’s a bigger flask it’s a larger area for the solid ppt to appear over and cover the cross. It wont be forming in as deep amount of solution so would not become as opaque as quickly to prevent you seeing the cross? Hopefully that makes a little sense and again I’m not sure if that’s correct but it’s my first thought when I read it :smile:
i did wonder that- is that likely?

Original post by ineedallthehelp
Hey so my initial thoughts are that because it’s a bigger flask it’s a larger area for the solid ppt to appear over and cover the cross. It wont be forming in as deep amount of solution so would not become as opaque as quickly to prevent you seeing the cross? Hopefully that makes a little sense and again I’m not sure if that’s correct but it’s my first thought when I read it :smile:
Ive just found this in another thread from last year about the same question so I’d say yes. Also they’ve explained it better than I did!
Original post by uhhhh6678987654
i did wonder that- is that likely?
Original post by ineedallthehelp
Ive just found this in another thread from last year about the same question so I’d say yes. Also they’ve explained it better than I did!

thank you! I didnt think i would be the first to ask abt this Q but i couldnt find another thread
Haha no problem! I only came across it when I googled for Quizlets that sometimes explain this kinda thing
Original post by uhhhh6678987654
thank you! I didnt think i would be the first to ask abt this Q but i couldnt find another thread

Quick Reply

Latest