The Student Room Group

ask me anything! i got all 9s for igcses (edexcel)

i took bio, chem, phy, maths higher A, psychology (gcse tho not igcse)
(i also got an A* for environmental management cie)
(edited 5 months ago)
Hi, I am currently doing Business studies and my mocks start in 3 weeks. I got a 4 in my mocks previously, and I was devastated. I am unsure on how to improve my time management, as people just say practice, but it doesn't work for me, and I need to get an 8-9 in business to achieve my future career. Also, I struggle very hard on the 6-9-12 markers. Any advice would help a lot!
Hey! Did you do geography? If so, how did you manage time during the exam, and structure paragraphs?

Thanks!
Original post by Fatimaaaaaaa
Hi, I am currently doing Business studies and my mocks start in 3 weeks. I got a 4 in my mocks previously, and I was devastated. I am unsure on how to improve my time management, as people just say practice, but it doesn't work for me, and I need to get an 8-9 in business to achieve my future career. Also, I struggle very hard on the 6-9-12 markers. Any advice would help a lot!

@eenie_49 Hey! Thx for reaching out, apparently I'm not able to send PM's yet, so I've got to reply here. My exam board is edexcel, the same as yours!
Original post by elsibeth
Hey! Did you do geography? If so, how did you manage time during the exam, and structure paragraphs?

Thanks!

i didnt. ive included the subjects ive taken now... shouldve done that earlier smh best of luck tho 🫶
Original post by Fatimaaaaaaa

i didnt do business but i had a similar issue when it came to my psychology paper... my advice isnt gonna be that specific obv but yk how ppl say 1 min for 1 mark (atleast my teachers say that)? instead of timing urself for the whole paper, timer urself per q. if a q is out of 3, set a timer for 3 mins. this way u can figure out which specific qs r throwing u off. once u figure out what type of questions they r, try skimming thru all the past papers and doing those specifc qs until u can get them right in the right amount of time.

id also recc this for every paper where u note down every common q, every hard q, and every q u frequently get wrong right before the exam

im sorry for not mentioning the subjects i took, shouldve done that earlier smh best of luck tho 🫶
Original post by j3ssica jon3s
i didnt do business but i had a similar issue when it came to my psychology paper... my advice isnt gonna be that specific obv but yk how ppl say 1 min for 1 mark (atleast my teachers say that)? instead of timing urself for the whole paper, timer urself per q. if a q is out of 3, set a timer for 3 mins. this way u can figure out which specific qs r throwing u off. once u figure out what type of questions they r, try skimming thru all the past papers and doing those specifc qs until u can get them right in the right amount of time.

id also recc this for every paper where u note down every common q, every hard q, and every q u frequently get wrong right before the exam

im sorry for not mentioning the subjects i took, shouldve done that earlier smh best of luck tho 🫶

Ahh ok, i'll try it out!
Thank u sm for the advice! :smile:
Reply 7
bit late, BUT PLEASE pour ALL your science (all 3) and higher maths tips and wisdom here
What are u studying now or doing now and r u enjoying it
hey this is corvus
how did you study for psychology?
how many quotes per character and poems for english lit? also what was ur english lang structure?
Original post by my4s
bit late, BUT PLEASE pour ALL your science (all 3) and higher maths tips and wisdom here
hey. for maths, maths is a literal game and once u start seeing it as one, it will get easy. first make sure ur base concepts r 100% clear. u should be able to do the questions in the end of chap qs which r in the text. then, u need to start doing past papers. there r many things u need to think abt while doing them. which qs repeat the most? which qs do i take the most time in? which qs do i keep getting wrong? make sure u time urself and do the qs to put u in that exam mode. eventually as u do more and more you'll realise its all just the same thing over and over again. even if u lose like 20 marks per paper, u can STILL get a 9 so dont be so discouraged if u cant do the big 6 markers cuz u will get working marks and if u get everything else right, you'll be good. thats mainly it for math...

okay now for bio, chem phy

okay see for bio igcse, the first thing is obv making sure u understand the content. for this, i read the text, watched sciencewithhazels walkthrough video for biology paper 2 and used physicsandmathstutor flashcards. id say as soon as ur done with a chap in school, do the topicwise qs on it on physicsandmathstutor. a lot of qs r basic and repeated like for eg the procedure of clonning. make sure u have that learnt. now how do yk which r the basic qs, thats from doing physicsandmathstutor topic wise qs and as many past papers as possible and this vid was rlly good as well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4NJ6P4MGP4&pp=ygUfYmlvbG9neSBpZ2NzZSBlZGV4Y2VsIGNvbW1vbiBxcw%3D%3D alsooo everytime u get a q wrong NOTE IT DOWN cuz theres absolutely no point if you'll forget it 3 secs later and go over them b4 a test or something.

literally do the same thing for chem and physics. its the same thing. i hope this helpss
Original post by studyfor9s
how many quotes per character and poems for english lit? also what was ur english lang structure?
i didnt take lit sooo
Original post by ebyrne2036
What are u studying now or doing now and r u enjoying it
im doing my as levels rn. i took bio chem and physics. its definitely quite challenging but im keeping the end goal in mind to keep me going
Original post by haaaaa001
how did you study for psychology?
firstly for psych, u HAVE to know all the studys and their strength and weaknesses very well. u need to be able to describe everything in as much detail as possible cuz sometimes they ask for the most specific qs. doing this will help u w/ objective qs. for subjective qs, u can only get better at it by doing past papers and analysing where u went wrong and what u need to fix. id reccomend doing 12 markers and 9 markers and making ur teachers check them so yk where u stand. good luckkk

Quick Reply

Latest