The Student Room Group

Arrhenius equation question

I don’t understand.
hi im not sure if u meant 'why isn't it -Ea/RT' for the gradient, but ill just assume u meant that!
so if u use the equation of a line, y = mx+ c to graph the 'ln' version of the Arrhenius equation:
1. rearrange it a bit to look like this: ln(k) = -Ea/RT + lnA
2. you can use ln(k) as y - this is why ln(k) is on the y-axis.
3. then split -Ea/RT into -Ea/R and 1/T (this is because if you multiply these together, top by top and bottom by bottom you get -Ea/RT!) which allows you to use -Ea/R as m and 1/T as x - again, this is why you see 1/T on the x-axis.
4. You are left with lnA, which is the y-intercept, or 'c'.

Original post by Illumilottie
I don’t understand.
Original post by hedgehog.
hi im not sure if u meant 'why isn't it -Ea/RT' for the gradient, but ill just assume u meant that!
so if u use the equation of a line, y = mx+ c to graph the 'ln' version of the Arrhenius equation:
1. rearrange it a bit to look like this: ln(k) = -Ea/RT + lnA
2. you can use ln(k) as y - this is why ln(k) is on the y-axis.
3. then split -Ea/RT into -Ea/R and 1/T (this is because if you multiply these together, top by top and bottom by bottom you get -Ea/RT!) which allows you to use -Ea/R as m and 1/T as x - again, this is why you see 1/T on the x-axis.
4. You are left with lnA, which is the y-intercept, or 'c'.

But there was no minus in front of the EA in the first place. The whole thing was-(ea/rt) not (-Ea/rt) and then suddenly the minus appears In front of the ea when you split it up.
putting a minus in front of the whole fraction is the same as putting a minus either in the numerator or the denominator - this website explains it quite well.
https://mathmaine.com/2014/07/31/negative-fractions/
basically it doesn't rly matter where the negative sign goes as long as there is only one - im guessing it was synced up to the straight line equation in THAT particular way just to make it easier to graph and calculate Ea :smile:
I hope this makes sense!!

But there was no minus in front of the EA in the first place. The whole thing was-(ea/rt) not (-Ea/rt) and then suddenly the minus appears In front of the ea when you split it up.
Original post by hedgehog.
putting a minus in front of the whole fraction is the same as putting a minus either in the numerator or the denominator - this website explains it quite well.
https://mathmaine.com/2014/07/31/negative-fractions/
basically it doesn't rly matter where the negative sign goes as long as there is only one - im guessing it was synced up to the straight line equation in THAT particular way just to make it easier to graph and calculate Ea :smile:
I hope this makes sense!!

Thank you so much this really helped
no problem! i'm glad it helped.
Thank you so much this really helped
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest