The Student Room Group
Kingston University
Kingston University
Kingston upon Thames

What is Kingston University's 'Big Read'?

Before arriving at Kingston University in September 2022, I received a copy of Phil Stamper's 'The Gravity of Us' in the mail. I was admittedly confused when I first saw the book - I hadn't remembered ordering it, and it wasn't a book I would have necessarily chosen for myself - but I quickly found out it was part of KU's 'Big Read' programme for that year. Aiming to make new students feel welcome before they arrive and offering Freshers opportunities to break the ice with one another once they get here, the Big Read has been a very welcome staple of my Kingston experience so far. Whilst at the time I think I was more chuffed to just get something for free from my university, I have to admit that the social benefits of the Big Read for me were undeniable; it really did make me feel as if I was already a member of the Kingston community, and made me step a little outside of my reading comfort zone!

First offered in 2015 and based on the principle of shared reading creating a closer sense of community - imagine a gigantic book group of sorts - all the Big Read asks students to do is read that year's chosen book. Once you arrive, there'll be numerous events across campus to discuss the themes of the book, as well as an opportunity to get your free copy signed by the author themselves. (These events will be advertised, so don't worry about having to track them down all by yourself!) However, even if you're not really feeling the events, the KU Big Read serves as a perfect conversation starter for anyone you're sitting beside in lectures or inductions - I know I used the 'So, what did you think of that book?' line a few times in my first few days at Kingston! :h:

For current students who are also interested in participating (e.g. me), don't worry. You can pick up a free copy of the book across the university libraries and other areas on campus once it's sent out to others and join in the discussion as well.

Whilst the chosen book for 2023's Big Read is yet to be decided, the shortlist features international bestsellers and award-winning authors, and includes:

- 'Just Sayin': My Life in Words' by Malorie Blackman
- 'Hello World' by Hannah Fry
- 'Lessons in Chemistry' by Bonnie Garmus
- 'A Slow Fire Burning' by Paula Hawkins
- 'Life Ceremony' by Sayaka Murata
- 'A Monster Calls' by Patrick Ness

Covering multiple different subject areas, ranging from autobiographical tales to mechanical algorithms, this year's shortlist has lots to choose from - so prospective students, look forward to finding out which book you'll be receiving soon! :biggrin:

- Eve (BA Fine Art and Art History).
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending