The Student Room Group

vectors in 3d a level maths

A mobile phone mast, BM, is on the side of a hill. The mast is supported by a guy rope AM which is perpendicular to the hillside.

The hillside is modelled as a plane and the mobile phone mast, BM, and
guy rope, AM, are modelled as straight lines. Relative to a fixed origin, the top of the mast has coordinates M(180, -75, 20) and the guy rope is fixed to ground at A (176, -80, 2). All units are in metres.

An engineer walks in a straight line from the point C (s, 55, -5) to the
base of mast, B(180, -75, t).
Calculate the distance that the engineer walks.

(Idk how to attach an image but BM is vertical and AM is perpendicular to the slanted ground. A, B and C are on the ground, with A at a higher altitude than B and B having a higher altitude than C)

I just don't know what to even do. I get that I have to do smth with AM which is the perpendicular of the ground
Original post by Sasuto
I get that I have to do smth with AM which is the perpendicular of the ground

Good. So you have the perpendicular, and a point on the plane, and hence an equation of the plane is?
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Sasuto
A mobile phone mast, BM, is on the side of a hill. The mast is supported by a guy rope AM which is perpendicular to the hillside.

The hillside is modelled as a plane and the mobile phone mast, BM, and
guy rope, AM, are modelled as straight lines. Relative to a fixed origin, the top of the mast has coordinates M(180, -75, 20) and the guy rope is fixed to ground at A (176, -80, 2). All units are in metres.

An engineer walks in a straight line from the point C (s, 55, -5) to the
base of mast, B(180, -75, t).
Calculate the distance that the engineer walks.

(Idk how to attach an image but BM is vertical and AM is perpendicular to the slanted ground. A, B and C are on the ground, with A at a higher altitude than B and B having a higher altitude than C)

I just don't know what to even do. I get that I have to do smth with AM which is the perpendicular of the ground

You should see a little camera icon within the reply box (once you click reply). This allows you to upload an image file from your device. I think it would be helpful to include on in this case.
Reply 3
Capture.PNG
Reply 4
Original post by ghostwalker
Good. So you have the perpendicular, and a point on the plane, and hence an equation of the plane is?

So using the vector AM, thecartesian equation of the ground plane should be 4x+5y+18z. Am I supposed to know what it is equal to? How do I work it out? And what does it mean?
Original post by Sasuto
So using the vector AM, thecartesian equation of the ground plane should be 4x+5y+18z. Am I supposed to know what it is equal to? How do I work it out? And what does it mean?

That's part of an equation. You know a point on the plane, so if you sub it in, you'll find what it's equal to, to complete the equation.
Reply 6
That's part of an equation. You know a point on the plane, so if you sub it in, you'll find what it's equal to, to complete the equation.

Ah ok, I should've known. And what does it represent, if anything?
I got it equals to 340
Original post by Sasuto
Ah ok, I should've known. And what does it represent, if anything?
I got it equals to 340

Nothing special in this circumstance.

In general, in the forumula ax+by+cz=d, if you divide through, scale, by a2+b2+c2\sqrt{a^2+b^2+c^2}, then the RHS is the signed distance of the plane from the origin of your coordinate system.
Reply 8
Nothing special in this circumstance.

In general, in the forumula ax+by+cz=d, if you divide through, scale, by a2+b2+c2\sqrt{a^2+b^2+c^2}, then the RHS is the signed distance of the plane from the origin of your coordinate system.

Ohh, I see.

So now that I have the equation of the ground plane, do I sub in the coordinates of B and C? And work out what the unknowns s and t are? And then do I dot matrix the vectors of B and C? What does dot matrix even show? Sorry I am very confused.
Original post by Sasuto
Ohh, I see.

So now that I have the equation of the ground plane, do I sub in the coordinates of B and C? And work out what the unknowns s and t are? And then do I dot matrix the vectors of B and C? What does dot matrix even show? Sorry I am very confused.

Yes for the first two questions.

Then you will have the positions of the two points and want to find the distance between them - Pythagoras (in 3D)
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 10
Ok, thank you!

Just wondering, is there another way of finding the distance between them without using 3D Pythagoras? Because since I've started the topic, we haven't had the need to use 3D pythag or 3D trig, and this question is in a homework that sums everything up.

Btw, I got 192 to 3sf, I hope that is correct:smile:
Thanks so much!!! Enjoy your evening^^
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Sasuto
Ok, thank you!

Just wondering, is there another way of finding the distance between them without using 3D Pythagoras? Because since I've started the topic, we haven't had the need to use 3D pythag or 3D trig, and this question is in a homework that sums everything up.

Btw, I got 192 to 3sf, I hope that is correct:smile:
Thanks so much!!! Enjoy your evening^^

I've not worked the question through - your method's right, so your result should be too.

Pythagoras is the standard method, and easiest here, for distance between two points. I could probably think up something that didn't use it, but it would probably be somewhat convoluted, and not worth the effort.
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest