The Student Room Group

Is a 3D-Design GCSE useful for Architecture?

Ok so I am doing my GCSE options and I want to choose 3D-Design. I am an aspiring Architect, but I am keeping other things open as well. 3D-Design looks like a really good subject! I get to draw in 3D, choose materials, follow briefs and use CAD/CAM. But after some research I have found I am being led towards art for Architecture. Art looked great but doesn’t 3D-Design relate more? Although by the looks of it most schools don’t offer this and Art is being compared to Graphics. Also I looked through my schools current A-Levels and they don’t even offer 3D-Design A-level. They have Fine Art, Textiles, Graphics but not 3D-Design :frown: . However I could take 3D-Design for GCSE and then do an Art A-level ( for Art I could qualify with a grade 5 in 3D-Design). Would this plan be ok, and would 3D-Design be useful for me?
Original post by Moonlight:)
Ok so I am doing my GCSE options and I want to choose 3D-Design. I am an aspiring Architect, but I am keeping other things open as well. 3D-Design looks like a really good subject! I get to draw in 3D, choose materials, follow briefs and use CAD/CAM. But after some research I have found I am being led towards art for Architecture. Art looked great but doesn’t 3D-Design relate more? Although by the looks of it most schools don’t offer this and Art is being compared to Graphics. Also I looked through my schools current A-Levels and they don’t even offer 3D-Design A-level. They have Fine Art, Textiles, Graphics but not 3D-Design :frown: . However I could take 3D-Design for GCSE and then do an Art A-level ( for Art I could qualify with a grade 5 in 3D-Design). Would this plan be ok, and would 3D-Design be useful for me?

I've never even heard of a GCSE in 3D Design. Is this part of Art and Design?

3D modelling is extremely useful. My husband is currently on a 3D Game Art degree. You're right, you'd have to do an Art A-Level really if you're going down the A-Level route rather than the BTEC route.
Original post by PinkMobilePhone
I've never even heard of a GCSE in 3D Design. Is this part of Art and Design?

3D modelling is extremely useful. My husband is currently on a 3D Game Art degree. You're right, you'd have to do an Art A-Level really if you're going down the A-Level route rather than the BTEC route.

Yeah 3D-Design is one of a few DT subjects my school offers. Ok, I will do 3D Design as a GCSE, get a 5 at least and then do an Art A level. That will probably work out really well as moving from 3D Design to Art will give me a good variety of work for my portfolio.
(edited 1 year ago)
It is a shame that your school doesn't offer 3D Design at A-level - however although useful, it is not essential for architecture.

Your best bet is 3 A-levels, with one in art. Some universities do ask for Maths and/or Physics, but there are not many which have kept this requirement to this day. If you can do an EPQ and/or Core Maths this will also be useful.

Quick Reply

Latest