The Student Room Group

Grade 9 in Biology?

I'm currently working at grade 7 and would really like to improve! Any advice?
Flashcards are your best friend when it comes to GCSE biology.

Review them again and again. Of course this alone won’t get you a 9 though (tbh, if you’re naturally like intelligent then maybe), but you’d have to do past papers. This because you need to be able to apply knowledge to questions.
Original post by CaptainDuckie
Flashcards are your best friend when it comes to GCSE biology.

Review them again and again. Of course this alone won’t get you a 9 though (tbh, if you’re naturally like intelligent then maybe), but you’d have to do past papers. This because you need to be able to apply knowledge to questions.

Ok great thanks!
generally for me, instead of flash cards and reading notes, I either write notes to build muscle memory instead of just reading memory or do past papers which gives me an idea of how to structure the answers and what type of questions are included since in aqa atleast, a lot of marks are allocated on how the answers structured aswell as whats included in the answer so if you get the answer right
but don't structure it properly you can lose some marks

Original post by scar-the-queen
(edited 1 year ago)
Do as many past papers and practice exam Qs as you possible can. Under timed conditions and closed book. When you mark them, make sure you really understand where you went wrong - use youtube, your notes/textbooks, your teachers etc. to make sure you understand the topics you lose the most marks on and make sure you understand the mark scheme. Good luck!!
Ok great thanks!

One more thing.. I forgot to mention (sorry)

Make sure you have a look at the exam board specification (you’d normally be able to find this online)..

The reality is that sometimes they can be a bit cheeky and test you on something that isn’t so obvious from like the text book or past papers.

Confidently be able to know everything on the specification, I believe that this is what separates grade 9 students. I noticed this a while back, even during A-levels too.
Original post by useless-dismay
generally for me, instead of flash cards and reading notes, I either write notes to build muscle memory instead of just reading memory or do past papers which gives me an idea of how to structure the answers and what type of questions are included since in aqa atleast, a lot of marks are allocated on how the answers structured aswell as whats included in the answer so if you get the answer right
but don't structure it properly you can lose some marks

Oh that makes sense, thanks!
Original post by kaorimiyazono
Do as many past papers and practice exam Qs as you possible can. Under timed conditions and closed book. When you mark them, make sure you really understand where you went wrong - use youtube, your notes/textbooks, your teachers etc. to make sure you understand the topics you lose the most marks on and make sure you understand the mark scheme. Good luck!!

Thank you!
Original post by CaptainDuckie
One more thing.. I forgot to mention (sorry)

Make sure you have a look at the exam board specification (you’d normally be able to find this online)..

The reality is that sometimes they can be a bit cheeky and test you on something that isn’t so obvious from like the text book or past papers.

Confidently be able to know everything on the specification, I believe that this is what separates grade 9 students. I noticed this a while back, even during A-levels too.

Oh that’s true, thank you!

Heya!
The best way to revise is by doing past papers/practice questions :h: If it helps, Study Mind has lots of free resources that will help you out!

I hope this helps!
Milena
UCL PFE
Study Mind
Original post by StudyMind
Heya!
The best way to revise is by doing past papers/practice questions :h: If it helps, Study Mind has lots of free resources that will help you out!

I hope this helps!
Milena
UCL PFE
Study Mind

Thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest