The Student Room Group

gcse results med/dentistry

just got my gcses results today mostly 8s and a couple 7s. i potentially would like to do medicine or dentistry in the future so are these good enough to do them
Reply 1
Original post by dilsheen
just got my gcses results today mostly 8s and a couple 7s. i potentially would like to do medicine or dentistry in the future so are these good enough to do them

Yes! Definitely. Congratulations on the amazing grades! You'd be able to apply to the majority of medical schools with these grades.
Reply 2
i don't see why not - these grades are excellent and you should still be pursuing medicine/dentistry!
Yeah these are perfect grades for medicine/dentistry. Not all unis look at gcses as most go off a level results and the UCAT score but certain unis that do look at gcses will require 7s and above ( unless you aiming for oxbridge who will definitely want 8s-9s)
Reply 4
Original post by sr-lilyrose07
Yeah these are perfect grades for medicine/dentistry. Not all unis look at gcses as most go off a level results and the UCAT score but certain unis that do look at gcses will require 7s and above ( unless you aiming for oxbridge who will definitely want 8s-9s)

Sorry for asking, but will three grade 7's be a detriment to my oxbridge chances? I have extenuating circumstances - having not received a formal education for the entirety of year 9 and 10 (I had to teach myself all of the content in 9 months) due to domestic violence/mental health issues and went to a low-performing secondary school (Bexleyheath Academy). I got three grade 9's and another 2 grade 8's alongside the three 7's, but will they have much of an impact on the potential success of an application when my circumstances are taken into account?
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 5
Original post by riverw
Sorry for asking, but will three grade 7's be a detriment to my oxbridge chances? I have extenuating circumstances - having not received a formal education for the entirety of year 9 and 10 (I had to teach myself all of the content in 9 months) due to domestic violence/mental health issues and went to a low-performing secondary school (Bexleyheath Academy). I got three grade 9's and another 2 grade 8's alongside the three 7's, but will they have much of an impact on the potential success of an application when my circumstances are taken into account?

No - grade 7s are the equivalent of grade As, and you have only got 3 of those out of mostly A*s. they are really good grades and you should be proud that you achieved them in these circumstances. as long as you meet their a level requirements and grades, oxbridge will love you :smile:
Original post by dilsheen

Hi @dilsheen

Congratulations on your amazing GCSE grades!!

These are the GCSE grade requirements for Lancaster Medical School: Minimum score of 13 points from 8 subjects (A or A* or 7-9 = 2 points; B or 6 = 1 point). The 8 subjects must include Core & Additional Science (or Biology, Chemistry and Physics), Maths and English Language (grade B/6 or above). If Biology or Chemistry is not studied at A-level, then GCSE must be at least grade A/7

You can find the full entry criteria here: https://www.lancaster.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/medicine-and-surgery-mbchb-a100/2024/#course-entry

Best of luck with your medicine/dentistry applications

Nellie (Lancaster Student Ambassador)

Quick Reply

Latest