The Student Room Group

Quick moments Q

Find the total anticlockwise moment about the origin of a force of 6𝐢+4𝐣
which acts at the point 3𝐢+2𝐣

not sure why i cant do this but any help appreciated!
Original post by uhhhh6678987654
Find the total anticlockwise moment about the origin of a force of 6𝐢+4𝐣
which acts at the point 3𝐢+2𝐣

not sure why i cant do this but any help appreciated!

Any ideas, how do you normally calculate moments, can you use the vector notation ....?
Original post by mqb2766
Any ideas, how do you normally calculate moments, can you use the vector notation ....?

its perp length x force and anticlockwise positive. i tried multiplying them and working out magnitude and working out mag of each vector and multiplying. I can do all the harder moments questions just not these vector ones
its perp length x force and anticlockwise positive. i tried multiplying them and working out magnitude and working out mag of each vector and multiplying. I can do all the harder moments questions just not these vector ones

Or equivalently its
|a|.|b|.sin(theta)
where theta is the angle between them. You could draw the vectors in cartesian coordinates and work out the (sin of) the angle between them or do the dot/scalar product to get cos(theta) which gives you sin(theta) or do the cross/vector product which gives you the moment directly.

However, a bit of insight (sketch it) should help.
(edited 1 year ago)
I highly recommend a good drawing in this case.
Original post by mqb2766
Or equivalently its
|a|.|b|.sin(theta)
where theta is the angle between them. You could draw the vectors in cartesian coordinates and work out the (sin of) the angle between them or do the dot/scalar product to get cos(theta) which gives you sin(theta) or do the cross/vector product which gives you the moment directly.

However, a bit of insight (sketch it) should help.

ive tried drawing it but i really dislike vectors, maybe im being stupid but do they not both just point in the topic right quadrant so not 90'? if so what then?
ive tried drawing it but i really dislike vectors, maybe im being stupid but do they not both just point in the topic right quadrant so not 90'? if so what then?

If you cant see it using vectors, you could calculate the angle they make with the x-axis and hence get the angle between them (the difference). Or get it using dot product or .... But a good sketch or eyeballing the values to see how they're related is the quick way. The ratio of the coordinates gives the gradient of each vecotr.

Not sure what you mean by bold. Upload your sketch if necessary.
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest