The Student Room Group

Physics

1 (a) A solar- powered ion propulsion engine creates and accelerates xenon ions. The ions are ejected at a constant rate from the rear of a spacecraft (figures 2.1 unavailable). The ions have a fixed mean speed of 3.2 x 10^4 m s^-1 relative to the spacecraft. The initial mass of the spacecraft is 5.2 x 10^3

(i) Calculate the mass of one xenon ion. molar mass of xenon = 0.131 kg mol^-1

(ii) The engine is designed to eject 9.5 x 10^18 xenon ions per second. Determine the initial acceleration of the spacecraft.
For part 1, convert the molar mass of xenon into grams, and then divide the mass by avogadros constant to get the mass of one xenon ion.

For part 2, use conservation of momentum. And then use the equation force = change in momentum/time. then use Newton's second rule (f=ma) to calculate the initial acceleration of the spacecraft.
Reply 2
Original post by iTsJames123
For part 1, convert the molar mass of xenon into grams, and then divide the mass by avogadros constant to get the mass of one xenon ion.

For part 2, use conservation of momentum. And then use the equation force = change in momentum/time. then use Newton's second rule (f=ma) to calculate the initial acceleration of the spacecraft.

Thank you so much i was really struggling with this
Reply 3
Original post by iTsJames123

can you show me how to work out on question 2 like a step by step.

Quick Reply

Latest