The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Sociology at Durham

I’ve got an alternative offer for Sociology at Durham (changing from CHSS) and I was wondering if anyone had any insights into the department. I’m particularly interested in feminist theories so any info on the kind of modules available related to that would be great but any general information on what lectures are like, contact hours etc. would be really appreciated. :smile:
Original post by Anonymous
I’ve got an alternative offer for Sociology at Durham (changing from CHSS) and I was wondering if anyone had any insights into the department. I’m particularly interested in feminist theories so any info on the kind of modules available related to that would be great but any general information on what lectures are like, contact hours etc. would be really appreciated. :smile:

Hiya

I have attached a few blog links for you that you may find insightful:
https://studentblog.webspace.durham.ac.uk/whats-it-like-studying-sociology-2/
https://studentblog.webspace.durham.ac.uk/whats-it-like-studying-sociology/
https://studentblog.webspace.durham.ac.uk/a-day-in-the-life-of-a-sociology-student/

-Himieka
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous

Hi,

So I'm actually a Criminology student at Durham so I can actually tell you a little bit about the Sociology Department as they are linked. I'm actually a third year but I'm on a year abroad right now so not quite a finalist but maybe I can help you a little bit. From my experience I've generally had around 9 or 10 contact hours a week mixed between, lectures, seminars and practicals for research methods type of classes. I've personally found there's a really good variety of modules within the sociology dept that cover a wide variety of subject areas and interests. I can only talk from my experience but there are plenty of classes that definitely like to take a critical look through the feminist lens - especially the theory based classes. The lectures are just as you would expect with it largely being the lecturer at the front and everyone sat in the back taking notes, however some lecturers do try to bring in a couple of interactive methods which can be quite nice. Sometimes they bring in guest speakers that are particularly knowledgeable about certain parts of the syllabus which can really help you out as you get to know from like an 'expert' in that field. Personally, I've found the department really lovely and supportive :smile:

Let me know if I've missed anything or you have any more questions.
Reply 3
Original post by Namakii
Hi,

So I'm actually a Criminology student at Durham so I can actually tell you a little bit about the Sociology Department as they are linked. I'm actually a third year but I'm on a year abroad right now so not quite a finalist but maybe I can help you a little bit. From my experience I've generally had around 9 or 10 contact hours a week mixed between, lectures, seminars and practicals for research methods type of classes. I've personally found there's a really good variety of modules within the sociology dept that cover a wide variety of subject areas and interests. I can only talk from my experience but there are plenty of classes that definitely like to take a critical look through the feminist lens - especially the theory based classes. The lectures are just as you would expect with it largely being the lecturer at the front and everyone sat in the back taking notes, however some lecturers do try to bring in a couple of interactive methods which can be quite nice. Sometimes they bring in guest speakers that are particularly knowledgeable about certain parts of the syllabus which can really help you out as you get to know from like an 'expert' in that field. Personally, I've found the department really lovely and supportive :smile:

Let me know if I've missed anything or you have any more questions.

Thank you so much, I think you covered just about everything. :smile: I keep hearing great things about sociology at Durham so I think I’m going to firm.

Quick Reply

Latest