The Student Room Group

Are these good subjects for Law?

I hope to do a degree in Law at a Russell Group University (aiming for Durham), and I do Sociology, Politics and Geography (and am also doing an EPQ, although I know these aren't very helpful). I've heard a lot of things about Sociology being a 'soft' subject, and I was wondering whether Russell Group Universities would still value an A-Level in it.
(edited 6 months ago)
Original post by happylondon
I hope to do a degree in Law at a Russell Group University (aiming for Durham), and I do Sociology, Politics and Geography (and am also doing an EPQ, although I know these aren't very helpful). I've heard a lot of things about Sociology being a 'soft' subject, and I was wondering whether Russell Group Universities would still value an A-Level in it.

In theory, they seem like good subjects, but history would also be a very interesting subject. It's really important in law, but your subjects seem fine. Politics and Geography are naturally extremely relevant, but sociology looks important too. Good luck :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by 121254Gnrdocarmo
In theory, they seem like good subjects, but history would also be a very interesting subject. It's really important in law, but your subjects seem fine. Politics and Geography are naturally extremely relevant, but sociology looks important too. Good luck :smile:

Thank you so much for the response! Unfortunately I didn't do History at GCSE so I cannot do it at A-Level, but I'm grateful for the advice anyways :smile:

No UK university classes Sociology as a “soft” subject. Of the few universities that publish lists of preferred A level subjects all of them include Sociology on the list of preferred subjects.
As above, no such thing as a soft subject.

Just double check whether any potential choices need an essay/humanities subjects but otherwise do whatever you enjoy and will get the best grades in.
Reply 5
Pick 3 subjects you will enjoy studying and where you feel confident of high grades.

Also - remember that you can do a degree in any other subject and later do a postgrad 'qualifying' qualification in Law.
There are many courses for exactly this purpose - examples
https://www.bristol.ac.uk/study/postgraduate/taught/ma-law/
https://www.reading.ac.uk/ready-to-study/study/2023/law-pg/law-conversion
So you dont have to decide to do Law now, you can make this decision later.
Reply 6

These are great subjects for law. If you get good grades in them e.g AAA or higher, you will be in a very good position to get on a law degree at an RG or other high tariff uni.

These subjects are fine for law.

Quick Reply

Latest