The Student Room Group

A level chemistry

Best way to memorise the organic synthesis mechanisms map??? AQA A level
Reply 1
I did OCR is there a way you could share the mechanisms map for AQA unless they are the same?
Reply 2
I’ve attached the map, but I’m not too sure what the differences would be between ocr and AQA . I’d assume they’re similar

Original post by Profy
I did OCR is there a way you could share the mechanisms map for AQA unless they are the same?
Original post by saraseax
Best way to memorise the organic synthesis mechanisms map??? AQA A level

STAGE I
Go onto chemrevise.org then AQA guides and click on the organic synthesis one. You'll see the aromatic and aliphatic maps. I just draw the map out with the arrows and compound names then I fill the rest in by myself (eg conditions, reagents and mechanism).

STAGE II
Another thing is to write out all the compounds on the map onto a piece of paper and give every one a number. Use a random number generator to select to random functional groups (eg the website selected and 1 and 14, and carboxylic acid and ester were 1st and 14th on your list) then state how you would go from your starting molecule to your target molecule - similar to questions given in exams. Hope that helps and use spaced repetition!!

PS. Also look on the Internet for blank organic synthesis maps to help you do it quicker
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 4
Original post by saraseax
I’ve attached the map, but I’m not too sure what the differences would be between ocr and AQA . I’d assume they’re similar

Damn yea, that's confusing. OCR one is much clearer and more simple.
Reply 5
Original post by Profy
Damn yea, that's confusing. OCR one is much clearer and more simple.

it definitely is! thank you (:

Quick Reply

Latest