The Student Room Group

Genetics or Biological Sciences with only A level Biology and second science

I’m currently in year 13 doing Biology, Geography and Spanish and plan to do AS chemistry for next year. I am planning to apply to some Russel group universities for Biological Sciences and Genetics such as Warwick and York. They state their entry requirente as A level Biology and a second science which has geography listed.

I used to do 4 A levels in year 12 but I found out that I didn’t really like Chemistry and wasn’t very good at it either so I decided to drop it. So now km only doing 3 and an AS but my parents are pushing me to retake Chemistry as an A level and drop Geography which is one of my best subjects (my predicted being an A*) and I enjoy the course. But they say my application is not competitive enough since people do Maths, Biology and Chemistry. I’m not sure what to do. Could I still get an offer?

I fulfil the entry requirements, I just do Geography and Biology.

I’d really appreciate some advice have people have people got into similar courses with only Biology A level and a “second science”?
Original post by PotatoChild12
I’m currently in year 13 doing Biology, Geography and Spanish and plan to do AS chemistry for next year. I am planning to apply to some Russel group universities for Biological Sciences and Genetics such as Warwick and York. They state their entry requirente as A level Biology and a second science which has geography listed.

I used to do 4 A levels in year 12 but I found out that I didn’t really like Chemistry and wasn’t very good at it either so I decided to drop it. So now km only doing 3 and an AS but my parents are pushing me to retake Chemistry as an A level and drop Geography which is one of my best subjects (my predicted being an A*) and I enjoy the course. But they say my application is not competitive enough since people do Maths, Biology and Chemistry. I’m not sure what to do. Could I still get an offer?

I’d really appreciate some advice have people have people got into similar courses with only Biology A level and a “second science”?

Hey @PotatoChild12 👋

This might be a controversial opinion but I would say stick with geography. It sounds like it is a subject you enjoy, you're good at, and you think you'll achieve a high grade in.

Better to get that high grade, it is a second science, and you've got biology as well so that's great. Trying to do chem A level at this point when you know it's not your best subject might be detrimental to your final grades.

It can't hurt to take it as an AS level as it would look good on your application, you can mention it in your personal statement that you wanted to add it to your learning experience. But as far as the 3 A Levels that your uni application takes into consideration, stick with the 3 that will give you the highest grades

Best wishes
Essex Student Rep - Hayley
Reply 2
(Original post by EssexStudentRep)Hey @PotatoChild12 👋

This might be a controversial opinion but I would say stick with geography. It sounds like it is a subject you enjoy, you're good at, and you think you'll achieve a high grade in.

Better to get that high grade, it is a second science, and you've got biology as well so that's great. Trying to do chem A level at this point when you know it's not your best subject might be detrimental to your final grades.

It can't hurt to take it as an AS level as it would look good on your application, you can mention it in your personal statement that you wanted to add it to your learning experience. But as far as the 3 A Levels that your uni application takes into consideration, stick with the 3 that will give you the highest grades

Best wishes

Original post by EssexStudentRep
Hey @PotatoChild12 👋

Best wishes

Hi Hayley thanks for the advice, do you think the universities that I apply for that state geography as a second science will discriminate against me since I would only have Chemistry AS?

Thanks
Coco
Reply 3

Maybe drop Spanish??? Biology and Chemistry link really well and geography sort of links to biology. Additionally, a lot of biology builds on Chemistry, which if you have an A-level in Chemistry will be a lot easier for you. Unless you really don't want to do Chemistry as an A-level, I think Biology, Chemistry and Geography would be a very good option.
Reply 4
Original post by Iced_Tea
Maybe drop Spanish??? Biology and Chemistry link really well and geography sort of links to biology. Additionally, a lot of biology builds on Chemistry, which if you have an A-level in Chemistry will be a lot easier for you. Unless you really don't want to do Chemistry as an A-level, I think Biology, Chemistry and Geography would be a very good option.

If I were to apply with Biology, Chemistry and Geography then I wouldn’t meet entry requirements. Spanish is my A and Geography is my A*.

I’m not sure I’ll get an offer with my chem predicted.

Hi Hayley thanks for the advice, do you think the universities that I apply for that state geography as a second science will discriminate against me since I would only have Chemistry AS?

Thanks
Coco

Hey Coco 👋

I would hope that if they've listed they accept geography as a second science there's no reason they wouldn't consider you. Sure, they might prefer chemistry, but an A/A* in geography is much better than a C in chemistry.

What is your predicted for biology?

I think doing the AS in chemistry shows initiative to start getting your head around higher chemistry, as you will probably face some biochemistry modules at university. Take it for the extra knowledge and definitely talk about it in your personal statement, which is really important.

Best wishes
Reply 6
Original post by EssexStudentRep
Hey Coco 👋

I would hope that if they've listed they accept geography as a second science there's no reason they wouldn't consider you. Sure, they might prefer chemistry, but an A/A* in geography is much better than a C in chemistry.

What is your predicted for biology?

I think doing the AS in chemistry shows initiative to start getting your head around higher chemistry, as you will probably face some biochemistry modules at university. Take it for the extra knowledge and definitely talk about it in your personal statement, which is really important.

Best wishes

Currently my predicted is a B in Biology
Reply 7
Currently my predicted is a B in Biology

Stick with Geography My son got into Oxford with A*Geography ABiology A History.He also took Chem but knew he could not get the grades with Chem.You only need 3 A levels so stick to your guns and do the subjects you are good at.
His insurance was York and offers from Exeter,Durham and Bristol.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending