The Student Room Group

should universities treat all exam boards the same?

aqa, edexcel, ocr, cie…

I’ve heard that there are subjects in some exam boards that are easier than others.

For example, people say that CIE psychology has much more details than Edexcel. In Jan 2023, the cumulative number of candidates at A* was 26.5, whereas for CIE only the top 10% would get A*.

But the requirements are the same for every exam board. Is this fair?

I might be wrong though so I’m happy to be corrected :smile:
Reply 1
The Government gives all GCSE and A-level exam boards a syllabus but exam boards can tweak the content e.g. Edexcel A-level business studies is far more straightforward to understand and follow than AQA A-level business studies.
Reply 2
Unis don't distinguish between exam boards - life is too short and they dont have the time to mess about with different offers like this. And the idea that some exam boards are 'easier' is subjective and in many cases a total myth.
Reply 3
Original post by anan0405
aqa, edexcel, ocr, cie…

I’ve heard that there are subjects in some exam boards that are easier than others.

For example, people say that CIE psychology has much more details than Edexcel. In Jan 2023, the cumulative number of candidates at A* was 26.5, whereas for CIE only the top 10% would get A*.

But the requirements are the same for every exam board. Is this fair?

I might be wrong though so I’m happy to be corrected :smile:

CIE is one of the most (if not the most) difficult and tough exam boards out there. Literal hell. Gave CIE exams, gave Edexcel exams, latter felt like a breeze after the former.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending