The Student Room Group

Can I go from GCSE Stats to A level Maths?

Since I want to do A level maths because of a career path. My math teacher and classmate are unsure about whether people from maths (higher) and statistics can be allowed into A level maths because there’s a large amount of confusion. Is it just further maths that can get in ? Is it about the grades or the class I chose?
Original post by STEMGIRLY354
Since I want to do A level maths because of a career path. My math teacher and classmate are unsure about whether people from maths (higher) and statistics can be allowed into A level maths because there’s a large amount of confusion. Is it just further maths that can get in ? Is it about the grades or the class I chose?

These arbitrary rules are set by the individual colleges, so unfortunately only they know.

You strictly speaking don't need to get a specific grade in GCSE Maths or Stats to do A Level Maths, because none of the exam boards have any prerequisites for any of their A Levels.

Just for the heads up, stats only make up about 1/6th of the A Level content, so it's more likely that they would be leaning more towards the core/pure maths.

According to various sources, if you can't get onto A Level Maths, they are not likely going to let you onto Further Maths, even though there isn't any specific entry requirements set by the exam boards.

I think the main concern (I say main because there could be other reasons) the colleges set certain grade requirements at GCSE because they use it as an indication of how likely you would pass A Level.
The counter argument is that using GCSEs as an indicator is incredibly crude and very inaccurate - you can have someone performing badly in GCSEs but then excel in A Levels. A Levels are also marked very different to GCSEs, so you shouldn't treat them like similar qualifications. Then you have inconsistent GCSE grade requirements across public colleges even though they are teaching exactly the same material. (These aren't grammar schools or universities - I might understand if there's strong competition for places at specific colleges, but this isn't always the case.)
If anything, having standardised college entrance exams that closely mirror the sort of style and difficulty you would have in A Levels would be a more suitable indicator than GCSEs.
Reply 2
Original post by STEMGIRLY354

You don;t need level 2 FMaths to do A level Maths.

Most schools set a grade requirement for Maths GCSE - we ask for a grade 7 or better.

Quick Reply

Latest