The Student Room Group

IAL and CIE/CAIE A Level Exams in the UK in November 2023

Which test centers offer IAL and CIE/CAIE exams in November this year in the UK? Could someone point me in the right direction please?
Thanks!
Original post by pigeonwarrior
Which test centers offer IAL and CIE/CAIE exams in November this year in the UK? Could someone point me in the right direction please?
Thanks!

I would go to the CIE/CAIE website and look for the private candidate section:
https://www.cambridgeinternational.org/exam-administration/private-candidates/register-as-a-private-candidate/

From that page, you would click on "Find A Centre" under the "How to enter exams as a private candidate" section. You would then come to the following page: https://www.cambridgeinternational.org/why-choose-us/find-a-cambridge-school/
Unfortunately, the search engine doesn't work if you don't specify a city, so you would need to look for yourself.

I also can't confirm whether you can take exams this November, since I don't have a comprehensive list of UK schools to choose from.

What I am interested in is why are you doing IALs when you're based in the UK
Original post by MindMax2000
I would go to the CIE/CAIE website and look for the private candidate section:
https://www.cambridgeinternational.org/exam-administration/private-candidates/register-as-a-private-candidate/

From that page, you would click on "Find A Centre" under the "How to enter exams as a private candidate" section. You would then come to the following page: https://www.cambridgeinternational.org/why-choose-us/find-a-cambridge-school/
Unfortunately, the search engine doesn't work if you don't specify a city, so you would need to look for yourself.

I also can't confirm whether you can take exams this November, since I don't have a comprehensive list of UK schools to choose from.

What I am interested in is why are you doing IALs when you're based in the UK

Thank you for your reply! I was ill during my A Level exams this year and I feel that my illness has caused an impact on my grades, and so I would like to resit so that I can basically rest in peace! And these are the two exam boards that I've heard do exams in November, so I guess it would be good for me to just get it over and done with...

That's why I asked for these two specifically as AQA,OCR and Edexcel would have their exams next year in June :smile:
Thank you for your reply! I was ill during my A Level exams this year and I feel that my illness has caused an impact on my grades, and so I would like to resit so that I can basically rest in peace! And these are the two exam boards that I've heard do exams in November, so I guess it would be good for me to just get it over and done with...

That's why I asked for these two specifically as AQA,OCR and Edexcel would have their exams next year in June :smile:

I appreciate that. However, the enrollment cycle for UCAS still holds at the same time each year. In other words, even if you do complete your exams by November, you still need to wait until August for the universities to accept you; you're not speeding anything up by doing the exams sooner.

The other thing that you would need to bear in mind is that the syllabi for the UK exam boards and the IALs are different (even though they are by the same organisations i.e. CAIE/CAE are part of the same organisation as OCR - expect them not to be easy). Whilst you are more or less covering the same topics and subjects, there are still nuances and topics you would need to further study in order to do the IALs properly.

Having said that, if you still want to do the exams with the IAL exam boards, then I wish you luck.
Thanks!

Hi,
Just wanted ask did you end up giving your A lvls with CIE? I am Planning to do the same in the UK and I am worried about the implications a CIE A lvls Qualification may have when applying to Unis. Do they look at them at them sceptically? as in why would a home student give IAL's. That sort of stuff...
Original post by rlx_Userhim
Hi,
Just wanted ask did you end up giving your A lvls with CIE? I am Planning to do the same in the UK and I am worried about the implications a CIE A lvls Qualification may have when applying to Unis. Do they look at them at them sceptically? as in why would a home student give IAL's. That sort of stuff...

Hello, I ended up sticking to my old exam boards! I was thinking of doing the international ones earlier as they had exams around november last year, meaning that I could be done much sooner, that's all. And as far as I know unis don't care what your exam boards are, as long as you meet their entry criteria all should be good! 🙂
Original post by MindMax2000
I appreciate that. However, the enrollment cycle for UCAS still holds at the same time each year. In other words, even if you do complete your exams by November, you still need to wait until August for the universities to accept you; you're not speeding anything up by doing the exams sooner.
The other thing that you would need to bear in mind is that the syllabi for the UK exam boards and the IALs are different (even though they are by the same organisations i.e. CAIE/CAE are part of the same organisation as OCR - expect them not to be easy). Whilst you are more or less covering the same topics and subjects, there are still nuances and topics you would need to further study in order to do the IALs properly.
Having said that, if you still want to do the exams with the IAL exam boards, then I wish you luck.

Thank you so much! I ended up sticking with my old exam boards and will be giving my exams this June 🙂

Quick Reply

Latest