The Student Room Group

Data science career with bsc maths

Am I likely to get a career in data science with just a bsc in mathematics? I've done a lot of statistics heavy modules, have experience in python, and have some knowledge of data science ( completed a project on neural networks), and will have done an internship in data analytics.
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 1
Short answer: yes.

The thing is a maths degree will give you lots of job opportunities - in data, in banking, you name it - if you take the initiative to find them. Employers see maths folks as smart and hardworking people, they will just teach you on the spot (or learn it yourself) any missing background knowledge.

Have you talked with the careers people?
Original post by Humayun786
Am I likely to get a career in data science with just a bsc in mathematics? I've done a lot of statistics heavy modules, have experience in python, and have some knowledge of data science ( completed a project on neural networks), and will have done an internship in data analytics.

Hi!

From the sounds of it, you could definitely go into data science! A maths degree is a great base and having coding skills as well as work experience on top puts you in a great position! If you wanted to do further study lots of universities offer data science masters however this is not a requirement for most data science jobs!

Good luck!
- Florence (Lancaster Student Ambassador) :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest