The Student Room Group

How much do GCSEs matter applying to somewhere like Cambridge?

I know offers and everything are based on a level results, but do they look at GCSE grades at all? I've got exams obviously really soon (like a couple of days soon), and long story short,stuff's been kind of complicated, and my school progress has been badly affected by everything else going on. I'll do fine in my exams (well enough to get into sixth form), but nowhere near as well as I could have under different circumstances. If my exams don't go great, have I ruined my chances of going somewhere like Cambridge for university?
Not necessarily your referee could explain the reason for your low grades. Generally universities look at English Language and Maths and look for a number of higher grades including these.
Reply 2
Original post by Bababo0ey
I know offers and everything are based on a level results, but do they look at GCSE grades at all? I've got exams obviously really soon (like a couple of days soon), and long story short,stuff's been kind of complicated, and my school progress has been badly affected by everything else going on. I'll do fine in my exams (well enough to get into sixth form), but nowhere near as well as I could have under different circumstances. If my exams don't go great, have I ruined my chances of going somewhere like Cambridge for university?

Heya!
Most unis just want a 5 or a 6 in maths and english. Only some unis like Oxford will look at all your GCSEs. Cambridge doesn't put too much weight into GCSEs. I believe for Cambridge GCSEs only act as an indicator of performance but there are also lots of other considerations they need to take in e.g. alvls, admissions tests, interviews etc so don't worry :h: As said above, your referee could also mention why you got lower grades than expected!

I hope this helps!
Milena
UCL PFE
Study Mind

Quick Reply

Latest