The Student Room Group

Gcse grades for maths

How big of a factor are gcse grades when applying for maths at Cambridge? My gcse grades aren’t the best, they’re mainly 6’s apart from my 9 in maths and chem which are the only subjects that I cared about.

I’m still going to apply but how big of a factor are GCSEs compared to your personal statement, predicted grades and so on. For your info I’m predicted 3 A* and an A probably ( 3A* in maths further maths and computer science) and an A in chemistry. Thanks.
Original post by Anonymous
How big of a factor are gcse grades when applying for maths at Cambridge? My gcse grades aren’t the best, they’re mainly 6’s apart from my 9 in maths and chem which are the only subjects that I cared about.

I’m still going to apply but how big of a factor are GCSEs compared to your personal statement, predicted grades and so on. For your info I’m predicted 3 A* and an A probably ( 3A* in maths further maths and computer science) and an A in chemistry. Thanks.

As you might expect, this question gets asked a lot. The standard response is that Cambridge look at applicants holistically - so they look at all information they have: GCSEs (in the context of your school), A level predictions, academic reference, personal statement, information supplied on My Cambridge Application (formerly known as the Supplementary Application Questionnaire), mitigating circumstances, interviews, assessments (if applicable), submitted work (if applicable), etc., etc.

Importantly, these pieces of information don't have fixed weightings. For one candidate, one source of information will provide them a lot of information, for another candidate that same source might tell them relatively little.

As frustrating as it might be to not know how they use all the information at their disposal, it is reassuring to know that it's not all just shoved into some formula or algorithm which spits out a yes or no decision. Instead, the information is weighed-up as a whole and decisions are made on that basis.
Original post by Anonymous

Icl they barely even care as long as ur a levels are on point and u show potential. i know people who have gotten an 8/9 in math and then the rest all 4/5s and they got in lmfao. i promise u it donesnt matter that much
Reply 3
Original post by revo349
Icl they barely even care as long as ur a levels are on point and u show potential. i know people who have gotten an 8/9 in math and then the rest all 4/5s and they got in lmfao. i promise u it donesnt matter that much

nah I didn’t think it mattered much lol but it don’t seem like they have much to base u off when there’s no admissions test since STEP is at the end of the year lol
Reply 4
Original post by DataVenia
As you might expect, this question gets asked a lot. The standard response is that Cambridge look at applicants holistically - so they look at all information they have: GCSEs (in the context of your school), A level predictions, academic reference, personal statement, information supplied on My Cambridge Application (formerly known as the Supplementary Application Questionnaire), mitigating circumstances, interviews, assessments (if applicable), submitted work (if applicable), etc., etc.

Importantly, these pieces of information don't have fixed weightings. For one candidate, one source of information will provide them a lot of information, for another candidate that same source might tell them relatively little.

As frustrating as it might be to not know how they use all the information at their disposal, it is reassuring to know that it's not all just shoved into some formula or algorithm which spits out a yes or no decision. Instead, the information is weighed-up as a whole and decisions are made on that basis.

I see thank you

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending