The Student Room Group

SN2 nucleophilic substitution -OH

Hi there!

Can anyone confirm that if I add 1 mol ratio of NaOH and heat to a solution of CH3CHI2 my major product will be CH3CH(OH)I?

So would i be able to obtain a single substitution?

Thanks for your help you are amazing!
Original post by _Simo_
Hi there!

Can anyone confirm that if I add 1 mol ratio of NaOH and heat to a solution of CH3CHI2 my major product will be CH3CH(OH)I?

So would i be able to obtain a single substitution?

Thanks for your help you are amazing!

If memory serves, geminal dihalides (at least, on boiling) hydrolyse to form carbonyl groups- whether the water in the solution will also react with the dihalide is something that ought to be considered.

So provided you are not boiling the reaction mixture, it is possible that you’ll be able to form 1-iodoethanol. Whether it is your major product or not I can’t say for certain.
Reply 2
Thanks for your answer!

The reaction with NaOH should require just heating so if i get the stochiometry right it should work according with what you mention.
It is for an exercise on pathway anyway so as long as i manage to make some, it is fine!

Thanks a gain for the help!

By the way the resulting geminal diol, if the dihalide undergo 2 SN2, would easily undergo intramolecular dehydration and form the carbonyl compound, i believe your memory serves you very well!

Quick Reply

Latest