The Student Room Group

Advice to University Applicants ?

I'm planning to do mechanical engineering for university and I wonder how drastic the change actually is from a levels. If not manageable, how should I cope up or what kind of preparations should I do during summer before uni starts?
Original post by Abaxta
I'm planning to do mechanical engineering for university and I wonder how drastic the change actually is from a levels. If not manageable, how should I cope up or what kind of preparations should I do during summer before uni starts?

It's certainly manageable given that a good proportion of mechanical engineering students go on to achieve a 2:1 or above. The key is to keep up with the work. Don't fall behind, and if there is anything you're struggling with, make sure you get extra help to understand it.
Hey there , first of all congratulations on making the decision to join the world of STEM , you are going to love it . Especially if you are going to study mechanical engineering.
A levels is very different from university but first year is designed to help you adjust to the change. Depending on the university you attend there should be sufficient academic support if you need it.
My best advice to you would be attend all your classes or as many as you possibly can and stay on track with all your submissions. It can be a little overwhelming if you fall behind too much but other than that's first year is somewhat of a breeze. I hope this helps .
Cece
Energy Engineering Student
De Montfort University
Original post by Abaxta

Assuming you have a good base A-level understanding (and have done subjects such as maths/ further maths/physics). The step up isn’t too bad, year one typically just introduces to the fundamentals of mechanical engineering science - the year one challenges are more adapting to university education environment and broadening your skill set from physics into the engineering subjects.

The bigger step up is actually year 2 to university from year 1.

Quick Reply

Latest