The Student Room Group

chemistry will be the death of me

Does anyone have any tips for learning organic chemistry a-level mechanisms and conditions.
Original post by laazzzydinosaur
Does anyone have any tips for learning organic chemistry a-level mechanisms and conditions.

Ngl I kinda listed heat under reflux for almost every mechanism and heat gently too + I think one of the mech requires you to heat under pressure. You won't get penalized for saying it. I think very few require an acid catalyst so just keep those that do in mind + you don't need to know the specific temperatures and stuff. For learning the mechanisms themselves I decided to not memorize them but instead understand them. A lot of it is just electron transfer and an intermediate stage but yeah what I did when I did A-level chem was I made A4 posters for all the required mechanisms and also wrote the equation down, did some past papers and copied the mark scheme down so I actually knew how they would distribute the marks for eg: 1 mark for correct direction of arrows (from middle of bond to...), 1 mark for partial charge symbols, 1 mark for lone pair etc etc. Hope this helps. Practicing helps too

Quick Reply

Latest