The Student Room Group

GCSE early

If I was to take all or most of my of my GCSEs early in Year 9 next year, what would be the rules and regulations for them, would I be able to do A-levels early as well? Also if I'm not sure whether my school does GCSEs early, should I ask and what would they say? I haven't heard of anyone in my school doing GCSEs early, so what would happen?
(edited 11 months ago)
Yes it's possible in theory to take GCSEs early, however...

Schools are very unlikely to allow you to take all of them early. Some schools let you take one or two early, but then you'd still do the rest in Yr 11.

If you were wanting to take them all early you'd have to take them privately, and then tbh I have no idea what the school would do with you once you'd taken them.

As funding for sixth forms is for 16-19 year olds, you'd be hard pressed to find one that would take you early. You again could do A-Levels early privately.
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 2
By privately, do you mean paying to do them?
Original post by abi nb
If I was to take all or most of my of my GCSEs early in Year 9 next year, what would be the rules and regulations for them, would I be able to do A-levels early as well? Also if I'm not sure whether my school does GCSEs early, should I ask and what would they say? I haven't heard of anyone in my school doing GCSEs early, so what would happen?

The British education system is quite rigid - these things are usually quite rare. I was actually offered a full year skip for A-level/Higher a year early, but you are doing two year skips at least, in a row, which is almost unheard of.

Your best bet is to enroll for all the exams privately. They have no age restrictions.

Good luck for your GCSEs!

Original post by abi nb

Yes
Reply 4
Original post by abi nb

Hi, you are able to take GCSEs at any age - for example you hear about child geniuses taking them at 9 years old. I would suggest you talk to your school to see if they could register you to take the exams next year. If not, there are many places you can take them privately so maybe look into that.
If you know the content and find school too easy then it might be a good idea to take them early, however my only concern would be that everyone taking the A levels with you would be so much older so you may struggle on the social side of things, but of course ultimately you should do whatever you think is best.
I hope that helped :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by abi nb

Are you loikely to get grade 9s? If not don't do it as you'll have to declare the grades you get. Your school probably won;t support you as your first attempt is what goes on their data ... why are you in such a rush to do them early?
Original post by abi nb

Yes, paying to take them at a private exam centre as a private candidate.

That's what home educated students do, but I really cannot see the point of a school student doing it.

Quick Reply

Latest